IGNORED

Prevozna sredstva bez vozača, da ili ne?

bigvlada

Na temu, a iz srca autoestablismenta ali i 200,000 clanova sirom svijeta, Peter Mascarenas, inace Fordov covek, glavni u FISITA, Fédération Internationale des  Sociétés d’Ingénieurs des Techniques de l’Automobile, globalnog profesionalnog udruzenja u koje ulaze i Society  of Automotive Engineers, onaj cuveni i pomalo zloglasni SAE, nemacki BDI i Sociétés d’Ingénieurs des Techniques de l’Automobile...

There  are  many  technologies that contribute to making  a vehicle semi-autonomous, such as adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist or automatic braking. Some  of these features are  starting to appear in premium models and  even  migrate down as standard features in more affordable vehicles. Some  features, like advanced emergency braking, are  becoming legal responsibilities for manufacturers – since November 2015  new  heavy  goods vehicles are  required to have  this fitted  as standard.

I think  the  rollout  of semi-autonomous or highly automated driving features is moving  very quickly, and they really provide the  building  blocks, in a technical sense, for higher levels  of automation because they allow you to control the  throttle for powertrain controls and  therefore the speed, and  they  allow you to control the  braking, the  steering and  so on. So you’ve  got both  the sensing capability and  the  actuators on the  vehicle  to provide much higher  levels  of autonomous function.

The two  key component families  are  the  actuators and  the sensors. And while the technology behind the actuators is reasonably established and  robust, the  sensors, claims Mascarenas, do need to have  the  higher capability which  then needs equally  robust software algorithms.

These  combine to allow the  vehicle  to anticipate or predict what other vehicles, a cyclist,  person or even  what an animal  might do, in much the  same way that a human driver  is able  to. That is what starts to differentiate these very highly automated driving features, which  are  fundamentally based on line of sight  type  sensing – so cameras, radar, LiDAR – from  the  more advanced type  of sensing that’s building  an entire image in three dimensions of the  world  around it. And starting to use  predictive algorithms to anticipate what others might  be doing  as opposed to just  controlling the  path of the  vehicle.

The fundamental technologies are  there. They need advancement in terms of cost because these sensors are  at a development level and  are extremely expensive. They need to be driven  down to levels  where they would  be affordable on regular vehicles. But also, they  need a lot of development in terms of being  able  to ensure the  statistical reliability of those systems in terms of detection and  vehicle  behaviour.

Historically  automotive engineers have  been mainly  mechanical engineers, but if you look at the  technologies [for autonomous vehicles], there’s a rapid  need for a different skill mix. There’s more dependency on electronics, on controls engineering, on software, on information technology. So when we  talk about suitably qualified  and  experienced people, we’re sort  of casting the net broader than just  the  traditional definition of largely  mechanically qualified  engineers. It’s a very competitive time  because the  auto industry is competing with  other industries for those types of skills. You’ve got the  obvious consumer electronics industry for the  software engineers, you’ve  got aerospace for the  controls engineers, and  in fact  industrial applications as well.

It could  be that this  new  generation of engineers will be ideal  for the  task  as they  may  well be the ones who  embrace this  different route for the  transport sector. It could  be, after  all, that young  people may  be the  most open to change when they  are  currently faced with the  expense of learning to drive, buying  a first car  and  then having  to insure it.

They might  actually not  want the hassle of owning a vehicle. I think  that generational change is what is more likely to drive the  adoption of these types of technologies than is a shift of today’s existing drivers  into something different.

Teme radi u Nokia OUR-u zaduzenom za mape, takodje misle da treba drugacije, barem sto se mapa tice.

Google’s Self-Driving Car Caused Its First Crash

Google’s self-driving car caused its first crash on February 14, when it changed lanes and put itself in the path of an oncoming bus.

In an accident report filed with the California DMV on February 23 (and made public today), Google wrote that its autonomous car, a Lexus SUV, was driving itself down El Camino Real in Mountain View. It moved to the far right lane to make a right turn onto Castro Street, but stopped when it detected sand bags sitting around a storm drain and blocking its path. It was the move to get around the sand bags that caused the trouble, according to the report:

“After a few cars had passed, the Google AV began to proceed back into the center of the lane to pass the sand bags. A public transit bus was approaching from behind. The Google AV test driver saw the bus approaching in the left side mirror but believed the bus would stop or slow to allow the Google AV to continue. Approximately three seconds later, as the Google AV was reentering the center of the lane it made contact with the side of the bus.”

Google’s car was in autonomous mode and driving at 2 mph at the time of the crash. The bus was driving at about 15 mph, per the report. No injuries were reported, but the front left wheel and fender of Google’s car were damaged.

In its monthly report, also issued this morning, Google addressed the crash, saying “In this case, we clearly bear some responsibility, because if our car hadn’t moved there wouldn’t have been a collision.”

Google did not immediately reply to a request for comment, and its report did not address the question of fault. The California DMV says it “is not responsible for determining fault,” though its website notes that “last minute [lane] changes may cause collisions,” and that drivers should “be sure there is enough room for your vehicle in the next lane” before moving over.

This was a minor crash with serious implications: Google’s autonomous vehicles have been in accidents before, but the tech giant was always quick to note that its technology was never at fault (the cars tend to get rear-ended at red lights). It may not be able to say that anymore.

Google’s cars have driven more than 1.3 million miles since 2009. They can recognize hand signals from traffic officers and “think” at speeds no human can match. As of January, they had been involved in 17 crashes, all caused by human error. Google has previously predicted they’ll be road-ready by 2020.

Google’s goal is to make a car that drives much better than humans do, program director Chris Urmson said in January, but perfection isn’t attainable. “You need to be very thoughtful in doing this, but you don’t want the perfect to be the enemy of the good,” he said. “We need to make sure we can get that out in the world in a timely fashion.”

Google’s goal is to make a car that drives much better than humans do, program director Chris Urmson said in January, but perfection isn’t attainable. “You need to be very thoughtful in doing this, but you don’t want the perfect to be the enemy of the good,” he said. “We need to make sure we can get that out in the world in a timely fashion.”

Jel' on to otvoreno rekao da će da skrate testiranje kako bi što pre izbacili takve automobile na tržište? Možda bi neko trebalo da mu pošalje sliku ED 209. 

Ako samovozeće vozilo nije idealno, ali je i takvo (lupam) 376 puta bolje od čoveka vozača, da li ga i takvog treba pustiti na tržište (uprkos pozatim ograničenjima) ili ne ?

Jel' on to otvoreno rekao da će da skrate testiranje kako bi što pre izbacili takve automobile na tržište? Možda bi neko trebalo da mu pošalje sliku ED 209. 

Rekao je upravo to. Odvratni IT zargon, "perfect the enemy of good". Povraca mi se.

Vec smo pisali u vezi Chrysler/Jeep softvera, a evo jos malo na konot istoga u auto-industriji:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-blocking-leaf-smartphone-app-due-to-security-flaw/

Nissan shut down one of its smartphone apps this week after an Australian software developer found that Leaf owners were highly vulnerable to data theft and hackers controlling parts of their cars.

The NissanConnect EV app, which allows Leaf (and e-NV200) owners to check their electric car’s battery status, analyze their driving habits, and activate climate control and battery charging, has been disabled.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mozda je buducnost ipak malo dalje od decenije? 

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens...

Tesla’s response to hacker who built a self-driving car on his own in a month sounds desperate

While car makers like Tesla and tech firms like Google and Baidu are racing to deliver the world’s first fully autonomous vehicles, 26-year old hacker George Hotz has managed to get a 2016 Acura ILX to drive itself, working alone for a month in his garage.

After Bloomberg covered his efforts in a lengthy piece, Tesla published a blog post refuting Hotz’s claims, saying, “it is extremely unlikely that a single person or even a small company that lacks extensive engineering validation capability will be able to produce an autonomous driving system that can be deployed to production vehicles.”

Our best speaker lineup, ever.

The company added that while Hotz’s system might work on a known stretch of road, it doesn’t have the technological resources necessary to drive across millions of miles.

The problem with Tesla’s post is that it shows how the company has failed to acknowledge the fact that Hotz has gotten pretty damn close to besting their multi-million dollar in-house self-driving tech in roughly 30 days using cheap off-the-shelf parts.

Hotz says that his approach may well be off the mark, but that sometimes, what’s needed to solve a difficult problem is a fresh set of eyes and a different way of going about it.

In trying to highlight how its own autonomous driving systems are vastly superior to Hotz’s garage project, the company has inadvertently shown that it feels threatened by a lone hacker who might just have what it takes to change the world.

Ako se ne varam, oni su dosta davno vec nudili Hotzu posao, ali on nije bio valjda za kompanijske price. Rani vlasnici ajfona ga se verovatno secaju kao geohota, njegovi dzejlbrejkovi su godinama pisali Eplu u supu. Ako me memorija secanja ne vara, mislim da je bar dve godine on pruzao jedini nacin da imas ajfon u Srbiji i slicnim zemljama koje Apple nije podrzavao. Posle su preuzeli drugi, a on se okrenuo karanju PS-a :D. Za mene kome je iOS trebao za posao bio je veliki heroj i bas se nadam da je uradio nesto bitno (mada mozda ni necemo saznati).

• 3 weeks later...

Otkad sam citao o nacinu kako Tesla pristupa proizvodnji, nemam nikakve sumnje da ce revolucija doci odande.

Dosta zanimljivo razmisljanje od coveka koji ima sve razloge da prica potpuno suprotno:

http://bgr.com/2016/03/25/tesla-vs-audi-stefan-niemand-supercharger-network/

Najinteresantnija je poslednja misao: “Those who have ever driven electrically are lost for the internal combustion engine for all time”.

Ja sam skroz za prevozna sredstva bez vozaca.

Onda ce te radovati ovakve vesti:

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/slovakia-great-first-stop-hyperloop-no-joke/

Naravno, hajperlup je i dalje na crtezu, ali meni je najinteresantnije da vidim da li moze ovako open source da se napravi nesto. Ako bi se takav model pokazao kao uspesan, to bi bila vise poslovna nego tehnoloska revolucija.

Za mene kome je iOS trebao za posao bio je veliki heroj i bas se nadam da je uradio nesto bitno (mada mozda ni necemo saznati).

Car je Hotz :)

Ovako je izgledalo kad je prvi put predstavio novinarima na čemu radi http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-george-hotz-self-driving-car

The car does, more or less, have it. It stays true around the first bend. Near the end of the second, the Acura suddenly veers near an SUV to the right; I think of my soon-to-be-fatherless children; the car corrects itself. Amazed, I ask Hotz what it felt like the first time he got the car to work.

“Dude,” he says, “the first time it worked was this morning.”

Pa pokazao je Masku da se slična stvar može postići za mnogo manje para. :D

Nakon nekog vremena svaki % poboljšanja neproporcionalno mnogo košta tako da ne bih ja još brinuo za Muska ;)

Onda ce te radovati ovakve vesti:

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/slovakia-great-first-stop-hyperloop-no-joke/

Naravno, hajperlup je i dalje na crtezu, ali meni je najinteresantnije da vidim da li moze ovako open source da se napravi nesto. Ako bi se takav model pokazao kao uspesan, to bi bila vise poslovna nego tehnoloska revolucija.

Nije samo na crtezu, ima i 1:1 maketa :D

Prave se prvi prototipovi, videcemo sta ce biti od toga, svejedno interesantan je koncept svakako.