IGNORED

David Bowie

vladavsnarod

The director recalls how he persuaded the musician to play a role in his 2006 film—and how daunting it was to work with someone he'd grown up worshipping.

BY MADISON VAIN • @TWEETSINVAIN

Posted January 19 2016 — 9:00 AM EST

After David Bowie’s death on Jan. 10, many of his collaborators, friends, and peers spoke out about working with the legendary artist on films, albums, tours, and music videos. Christopher Nolan, who directed him in the 2006 film The Prestige, shared his memories of Bowie with EW and below, in his own words, Nolan describes what it was like to convince his childhood hero to work with him.

When we were casting The Prestige, we had gotten very stuck on the character of Nikola Tesla. Tesla was this other-worldly, ahead-of-his-time figure, and at some point it occurred to me he was the original Man Who Fell to Earth. As someone who was the biggest Bowie fan in the world, once I made that connection, he seemed to be the only actor capable of playing the part. He had that requisite iconic status, and he was a figure as mysterious as Tesla needed to be. It took me a while to convince him, though—he turned down the part the first time. It was the only time I can ever remember trying again with an actor who passed on me. I petitioned to let me explain why he was the right actor for it. In total honesty, I told him if he didn’t agree to do the part, I had no idea where I would go from there. I would say I begged him.

The experience of having him on set was wonderful. Daunting, at first. He had a level of charisma beyond what you normally experience, and everyone really responded to it. I’ve never seen a crew respond to any movie star that way, no matter how big. But he was very gracious and understood the effect he had on people. Everyone has fond memories of getting to spend time with him or speak to him for a little bit. I only worked with him briefly—four or five days—but I did manage to sneak a couple moments to chat with him, which are very treasured memories of mine. Normally when you meet stars, no matter how starry they are, when you see them as people, some of that mystique goes away. But not with David Bowie. I came away from the experience being able to say I was still his biggest fan, and a fan who had the very miraculous opportunity to work with him for a moment. I loved the fact that after having worked with him, I had just the same fascination with his talent and his charisma. I thought that was quite magical.

Biće sad puno teško podnošljivog patosa, ali meni je ipak dirljivo kako se ljudi okupljaju tek tako da podele još malo onog vajba. Prosto poželimo da sam sa tom ruljom, koja ga ne žali, već se i dalje raduje njegovoj muzici.

Noćas sam se konačno naterao da sam (ne u drušvu što sam već radio) čujem Blackstar i to je zaista prvo što vredi (a i više od toga) od Scary Monsters davne 1981. Oduvek sam mislio da je Scary Monsters njegova testamenarna ploča, ali sam grešio, ovo je to.

jos jedan razlog za  :heart:

http://pitchfork.com/news/63015-david-bowie-turned-down-a-coldplay-collaboration-saying-its-not-a-very-good-song/

In a new interview with NMEColdplay's Will Champion said the late David Bowie once turned down their request for a collaboration. The band had written a song with a multi-part harmony, and envisioned Bowie as one of the voices. When Chris Martin wrote Bowie a letter asking him to participate, the response was definitive: "It's not a very good song, is it?"

jos jedan razlog za  :heart:

http://pitchfork.com/news/63015-david-bowie-turned-down-a-coldplay-collaboration-saying-its-not-a-very-good-song/

In a new interview with NMEColdplay's Will Champion said the late David Bowie once turned down their request for a collaboration. The band had written a song with a multi-part harmony, and envisioned Bowie as one of the voices. When Chris Martin wrote Bowie a letter asking him to participate, the response was definitive: "It's not a very good song, is it?"

bogotac

Dear David,

While the realisation of your death was sinking in, many of us went on with our day jobs.  For me, that meant a discussion with a hospital patient facing the end of her life.

We spoke of your death and your music, and it got us talking about numerous weighty subjects that are not always straightforward to discuss with someone facing their own demise. In fact, your story became a way for us to communicate very openly about death, something many doctors and nurses struggle to introduce as a topic of conversation. 

Thank you for “Lazarus” and “Blackstar” [both from the Blackstar album]. I am a palliative care doctor, and what you have done in the time leading up to your death has had a profound effect on me and many people I work with. Your album is strewn with references, hints and allusions. As always, you don’t make interpretation all that easy, but perhaps that isn’t the point.

I have often heard how meticulous you were in your life. For me, the fact that your gentle death at home coincided so closely with the release of your album, with its goodbye message, is unlikely to be coincidence. All of this was carefully planned, to become a work of death art.

The video of “Lazarus” is very deep and many of the scenes will mean different things to different people; for me, it is about dealing with the past when you are faced with inevitable death...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/david-bowie-nhs-care-doctor-publishes-tribute-to-the-starman-a6828521.html