IGNORED

Robert Allen Zimmerman

Indy

Dva majstora:Girl from the North Country Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash via McTube for YouTube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IZ7MD9oc3o

Edited by Peter Fan
  • 4 weeks later...

Bob Dylan: facing the musicBob Dylan once dismissed his 1970 album Self Portrait as a joke. But newly released recordings from that era suggest that something serious was going on in the singer's mindBob-Dylan-in-his-studio-i-008.jpgPortraits by the artist … Bob Dylan in his studio in 1990. Photograph: David Michael Kennedy""I don't know if I should keep playing this. Nobody's calling in and saying they want to hear it or anything … usually when something like this happens people say, 'Hey, the new Dylan album,' but not tonight." The words are those of an unspecified radio DJ, quoted in a 1970 Rolling Stone review of the album Self Portrait, a collection of 24 pieces of music that completely confounded its audience. The writer was Greil Marcus, who would go on to write some of the best commentary and criticism about Bob Dylan and his art, and whose opening sentence on this occasion eventually made his piece the most famous record review ever written: "What is this shit?"All musical oeuvres contain duds. Plenty of musicians fall into phases where such things are all they can produce. This was Dylan's fate for much of the 1980s, as owners of such albums as Empire Burlesque and Down in the Groove will know. Self Portrait, though, is rather different: this was a deliberately bad record, apparently created to distance its creator from his public, and earn him some peace and quiet. "The reason that album was put out [was] so people would just at that time stop buying my records, and they did," Dylan later reflected. That explanation came in 1981; three years later, he described Self Portrait as "a joke".It reached number one in the UK charts, and number four in America. Even now, millions own it – a strange package, fronted by a faux-naif Dylan painting, in keeping with its title. It comprises covers of songs made famous by the Everly Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, the singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, and more. Plenty of the tracks are smothered in syrupy arrangements, dubbed on to Nashville sessions at which Dylan was not even present. In three songs taken from his 1969 performance at the Isle of Wight festival with The Band, he sounds tired and detached: even the version of that biting countercultural anthem "Like a Rolling Stone" suggests something played by a half-cut cabaret performer.The whole thing is stretched over 73 minutes, and the idea that it amounts to some kind of neo-Dadaist prank is there in its opening track. The music could soundtrack the opening titles of a spaghetti western, and a chorus of backing singers intones the same couplet 15 times: "All the tired horses in the sun / How'm I s'posed to get any riding done?" The approved version of the lyrics says "riding"; at times, though, it sounds distinctly like "writing".In the first volume of Chronicles, the memoir he published in 2004, Dylan explained the genesis of Self Portrait thus: "I just threw everything I could think of at the wall, and whatever stuck, released it." He also put it firmly in the context of a time when he was a new father, trying desperately to keep his life simple, while running away from the droves of young Americans who still thought he was their king, and a purveyor of "message songs".Having recovered from the motorcycle accident he suffered in June 1966, Dylan had remained in the upstate New York settlement of Woodstock, where he was quickly joined by the musical soulmates who would soon call themselves The Band. To his horror, though, Woodstock also became a magnet for exactly the kind of people he was trying to avoid. Attempting to shake himself free, he wrote, he did "unexpected things like pouring a bottle of whiskey over my head and walking into a department store and act[ing] pie-eyed, knowing that everyone would be talking amongst themselves as I left". His image, he resolved, "would have to be something a bit more confusing, a bit more humdrum". Unintentionally, that serves as a pretty good description of Self Portrait, a record both far too ordinary and completely perplexing.And then, 43 years after it was recorded, there came some unexpected news. In July this year, Dylan's record company announced the 10th instalment of the so-called Bootleg Series, whose sporadic collections of unreleased archive material began in 1991. From those who follow Dylan closely, there were gasps of surprise at what was about to be released: an anthology, available in both standard and "deluxe" versions, titled Another Self Portrait. A four-minute

told the essential story: in 2012, a tape had been found containing material from the sessions that produced the original album, which had sparked the idea of returning to this period anew. On the face of it, this rediscovered music told the story of a project that Self Portrait travestied – whose working title, according to one of the musicians involved, might have been Folk Songs of America, pointing to two later albums on which Dylan re-explored the folk repertoire, Good as I Been to You (1992) and World Gone Wrong (1993).Was this, perhaps, further proof of the modern music industry's tendency to wring even its most lifeless assets dry? The opening sentence of the Marcus review still hangs heavy, and the fact that Self Portrait has long been understood as an act of self-sabotage suggested an obvious update: "What is this new shit?"But Another Self Portrait is not like that at all. A lot of it is revelatory, confirming that Dylan did indeed begin the Self Portrait period with the intention of creating an anthology of songs that would simultaneously tap back into his roots in orthodox American folk music, while also pushing him somewhere new. There are songs written by the Pennsylvania-born singer-songwriter Eric Andersen and Tom Paxton and Bob Gibson, both folk singers whose age and musical style kept them clear of the counterculture that almost buried Dylan under the weight of its expectations.Dylan returns to the old Scots ballad "The Daemon Lover" – given its American title "House Carpenter", just as it had been when he first recorded it in 1961 – and the American folk standard "Railroad Bill". As with material that eventually made it on to Self Portrait, where it was adorned with drums, bass and strings, all these songs are arranged simply: Dylan's voice and guitar, additional guitar parts by the New York multi-instrumentalist David Bromberg, and his arranger and bandleader Al Kooper on occasional piano.
But most suprising is the quality of Dylan's singing. As part of the build-up to Another Self Portrait, Sony Music put out a video to accompany a version of an 18th-century English folk song titled
– and on this recording, among others, his voice seems able to stretch single syllables into miniature melodies. Sight unseen, you would probably not think it was Dylan you were listening to. His approach develops the softened, country tones he used on Nashville Skyline, which can also be heard in exerpts from the Isle of Wight concert, spruced up and included in the "Deluxe" edition. Around eight years later, after he had reverted to the coarser vocal stylings he developed during the 1960s, Dylan's voice began to slowly fade: it is on this material, much of which has never even made it on to illegal bootlegs, that one probably hears him peak as a singer.(nastavak) Edited by Indy
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bob Dylan's electric guitar sold in auction for more than $1 million5142248-3x2-340x227.jpgAn electric guitar once owned by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan has sold for a record-breaking $1.06 million.The 1964 Fender Stratocaster was sold at an auction in New York for twice its estimated value.The price for the guitar smashed its pre-sale estimate of between $330,000 and $550,000, according to Christie's auction house.It is the highest price ever paid for a guitar at auction.The identity of the buyer has not been revealed.The guitar was used by Dylan, 72, at the Newport Folk Festival in Rhode Island on July 25, 1965.His three-song electric set at the festival saw the then 24-year-old evolve from folk-protest singer into an enigmatic rock legend.The set was described by Rolling Stone magazine as one of the most notable events in music history.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Bob Dylan Releases Frank Sinatra Cover, Plans New Album

Singer surprises with cover of 1945 standard "Full Moon and Empty Arms"

By Andy Greene

May 13, 2014 11:50 AM ET

Without any warning or anticipation, Bob Dylan posted a cover of Frank Sinatra's 1945 hit "Full Moon and Empty Arms" on his website, the first song from an upcoming new album by the 72-year-old musician.

The 10 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs

​"This track is definitely from a forthcoming album due later on this year," a spokesperson for the singer tells Rolling Stone. While the rep wouldn't confirm an album title, Dylan posted an image of himself with the phrase "Shadows in the Night." With its distinct vertical bars and crisp, minimalist text, the image appears to be in the style of graphic designer Reid Miles' iconongraphic covers for jazz label Blue Note.

Dylan doesn't stray too far from Sinatra's original track, though his version replaces the string section with guitars. "Full Moon and Empty Arms" was written by Ted Mossmann and Buddy Kaye and based around Sergei Rachmaninoff's 1901 composition "Piano Concert No. 2 in C Minor." The song has been covered by everyone from Robert Goulet to The Platters, but Sinatra's rendition remains the most famous. Dylan's last few albums were strongly inspired by popular music from this era.

While the singer's last official album Tempest was released in 2012, Reggie Watts, Built to Spill and Elvis Perkins, among others, came together to record Bob Dylan in the '80s: Volume One, a set of cover songs honoring the singers oft-aligned Eighties recordings. 

Bob Dylan kicks off a European leg of his Never Ending Tour June 16th in Cork, Ireland. It runs though July 17th in Pori, Finland.

Edited by Sludge Factory
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Moram da priznam… brine me Dilan.

Prvo, ovaj novi 'Shadows in the night' je sjajna, sjajna ploca. Vredeo je svakog minuta cekanja.

Za one koji ne znaju, album predstavlja omaz Sinatri, tacnije laid-back strani Sinatrinog opusa. Dilan interpretira iz tisine, intimno i bez afektacija, uz, za mene, potpuno impresivnu produkciju. Album je snimljen u Capitol Studiju B, na Neve 8086 konzoli. Svi legendarni outboard procesori su tu: Pultek, Fairchild 670, LA2A, UREI… oprema koja je stvorena da proizvede organske, tople tonove. Klavira nema, pored Dilanovog glasa, negde iz pozadine dopiru dronovi koje proizvodi pedal-steel gitara i ekstremno introvertan kontrabas. Dilan je snimao album bez slusalica zbog cega zvuci sirovo, lezerno i u dosluhu sa bendom, sto doprinosi atmosfericnosti same ploce. Tony Garnier, basista koji se vec nekoliko godina unazad smatra za najblizeg Dilanovog saradnika, je prethodno radio sa Waitsom i Paul Simonom. Sve je na svom mestu. Po meni, ovo je trijumf minimalizma. Dilan koji je po meni verovatno najlosiji od najvecih pevaca interpretira najboljeg od najvecih pevaca i nekako uspeva da ‘otme’ ove standarde i pretvori ih u punokrvnu amerikanu.

Dilan, naravno, ima sebi svojstven smisao za humor. Album je u 50,000 primeraka podeljen uz najpoznatiji americki magazin za stariju populaciju - AARP The Magazine. I to je ono sto me brine:

Nadam se da nam ne porucuje nista vise od proste cinjenice da je mator. Jer poslednje sto bi trebalo ovom svetu, usranom da ne moz’ usranijem, je da ostane bez Dilana. 

Dilan u AARP Magazinu kaze: "Passion is a young man's game. Young people can be passionate. Older people gotta be more wise. I mean, you're around awhile, you leave certain things to the young. Don't try to act like you're young. You could really hurt yourself."

Edited by Minimoog