IGNORED

BrExit?

jms_uk

Johnson and Gove’s actions last year, in coming out for Brexit to the surprise of David Cameron, tipped the delicately balanced scales in favour of Britain leaving the EU. They are now hell-bent on achieving a hard Brexit. Johnson stabbed Cameron in the back, then Gove stabbed Johnson in the back later that year. Now both are trying to stab May in the back.

If Britain leaves the EU in a precipitate manner and it proves to be a big success, statues to those men may yet be erected in Parliament Square, and all will be forgiven.

If not, these two back-stabbers may be lucky not to find themselves as rivals for Guy Fawkes on top of bonfires as the men who trashed our country and its traditions – without even having the decency or honesty to inform their fellow Ministers what they were up to.

link

Heathrow-Brisel kosta ispod £100 povratna u eko, i ispod £300 u biznis klasi [kome ista treba za tako kratak let]...

Edited by jms_uk

Norveški carinici školuju Torijevske Breezy Brexit have-cake&eat-it kretene o posljedicama izlaska iz carinske unije i jedinstvenog tržišta.

Nigel Mills: Just so I understand, if I am bringing some goods into Norway from Sweden and I need to declare them, am I allowed to cross anywhere or do I have to cross a specific border point?  Can I cross in the middle of the countryside if that works for me or not?

Liv Kristin Rundberget: You have to cross a border where there is a customs office.

Nigel Mills: I cannot just nip across on a back trail?

Liv Kristin Rundberget: No.

Nigel Mills: I cannot even declare in advance and then get permission to cross?

Liv Kristin Rundberget: No.

Nigel Mills: I have to go through there?  The EU say they want imaginative solutions to the Irish border.  We have to imagine some creative options.  Has anyone ever suggested that Norway and the EU could just exempt all small and medium‑sized businesses from having to comply?  Is that something you could negotiate with the EU if you tried?

Liv Kristin Rundberget: Most of the importers are small and medium‑sized enterprises.  :whistle:

Nigel Mills: You would be exempting everybody, would you?  You would be exempting every business if you did that?  Is that what you are saying?

Liv Kristin Rundberget: We do not do exemptions. :fantom:

Nigel Mills: One suggestion for the Irish border is that we would not enforce the customs processes on small and medium‑sized enterprises.

Liv Kristin Rundberget: I understand, yes.

Nigel Mills: I was asking whether you thought that was something you could negotiate with the EU if you wanted to or whether that is an unrealistic idea.

Liv Kristin Rundberget: Everyone has to stop at the border if they have to declare goods.  If they are a small or a big company, they have to stop at the border.

:jerry:

Nešto su i Laburistima objasnili:

Conor McGinn: The Swedish National Board of Trade did a survey of its members, which said the thing most hampering trade between Sweden and Norway was the customs.  What is the average wait time?  What is the bureaucratic process of filling out forms?  What was the justification for the National Board of Trade saying that customs was an impediment to trade with Norway?

Liv Kristin Rundberget: Yes, they have to stop at the border.  We can use the example of Svinesund, the busiest border crossing—8,000 vehicles a week stop at the border at Svinesund.  Do you want to know how long it takes to handle the export and import?

Conor McGinn: Yes—what is the average waiting time?

Liv Kristin Rundberget: It depends on the traffic, the quality of the document, the type of goods.  But we have been measuring, and the customs officer has approximately 3.5 minutes to handle one transport.  The customs officer can handle approximately 100 clients a day.

-_-

Zaboravise na Stenu [ili ih nije briga]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/22/gibraltar-heading-for-abrupt-exit-from-single-market-says-spain

Gibraltar is heading for an abrupt exit from the single market without the benefit of any transition deal, according to senior Spanish government sources, who revealed that the British government had failed to offer any proposals on the future of the Rock.

https://www.politico.eu/article/trade-canada-flexible/

EU27 squash UK hopes of bespoke trade deal

A Canada-style trade deal is the only realistic option for the UK but it will be a model not a template.
By JACOPO BARIGAZZI 11/23/17, 6:37 PM CET Updated 11/24/17, 12:21 PM CET

European diplomats are maneuvering to squash London’s hopes of a special cherry-picked economic deal with the EU post Brexit.

Even before Brexit negotiations move to phase two on trade and Britain’s future relationship with the bloc, the EU27 are coalescing around an offer to London of a free-trade agreement not much different from the one struck with Canada.

The EU’s Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier has backed such a deal for the U.K. post Brexit, concluding that since Prime Minister Theresa May has rejected continued membership of the EU single market and customs union, a basic Canada-style deal is the only realistic option.

An EU official who has been closely involved in the bloc’s internal preparations for trade talks with the U.K. said: “We went through the guidelines and we squared them with British red lines, and if you do that you see that we are in the territory of a free-trade agreement … where Canada is a model, but also Japan, or Korea. We don’t have an FTA that is a template for all.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/michel-barnier-brussels-britain-budget-rebate-brexit-talks/

Brussels takes aim at Britain’s budget rebate in Brexit talks
If Michel Barnier gets his way it could mean Britain having to fork out at least €10 billion more to secure a Brexit transition deal.
By DAVID M. HERSZENHORN 11/22/17, 7:14 PM CET Updated 11/24/17, 11:28 AM CET

Michel Barnier has set his sights on the most cherished aspect of the U.K.’s financial relationship with the EU — its annual budget rebate negotiated by former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

In his public statements, Barnier repeatedly and pointedly pegs the U.K.’s financial obligations at 14 percent of the bloc’s budget. That reflects Britain’s share before its rebate is applied, and is well above the 12.5 to 13 percent share that the U.K. actually pays into the EU’s coffers.

While Brussels has signalled its willingness to apply the lower, historical percentage to the U.K.’s prior obligations, the possibility that the EU would demand to end the rebate, as part of the price of a transition, is likely to enrage Brexiteers, some of whom have urged the U.K. to pay nothing and walk away without a divorce settlement.

Even if the EU ultimately agrees in the Brexit talks to maintain the U.K. rebate through the current long-term budget, which ends on Dec. 31, 2020, the possibility of a transition stretching beyond that date raises the likelihood that the EU will demand London pay more than its historical budget contribution for the privilege of staying in the single market and avoiding disruption to its economy.

In the event of such a longer transition, in which the U.K. is officially no longer a member of the EU but stays in the single market after the start of a new budget cycle, Rubio said, “I suppose they will have to think [of ] a new legal basis for U.K. contribution to the EU budget.” And as the 27 adopt new budget rules, she said, “They will obviously exclude the U.K. rebate.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ivan-rogers-no-final-trade-deal-possible-before-brexit/

UK’s ex-EU ambassador: ‘No final trade deal possible before Brexit’
The best the UK can hope for is a ‘purely political’ agreement with no legal basis, said Ivan Rogers.
By CHARLIE COOPER 11/24/17, 6:07 PM CET Updated 11/25/17, 10:30 AM CET

LONDON — Theresa May can hope for no more than an “aspirational” and “purely political” agreement on free trade before Britain leaves the European Union, according to the U.K.’s former ambassador to the EU.

In a lecture on U.K.-EU relations, Ivan Rogers said that — like David Cameron before her — May would run up against the EU’s attachment to “legal form and processes” and find that “at very best” they would agree to “a political agreement on ambit” about future trade, not a legal agreement.

Rogers, who resigned from his post as the U.K.’s permanent representative in Brussels in January complaining of “muddled thinking” within government about Brexit, said it was “obvious” the EU would offer “far less on market access” than the U.K. currently enjoys, and that its negotiators would be unlikely to take seriously any British threat to walk away from the talks.

The threat to walk out to go to WTO-only terms with the EU must totally contradict the U.K.’s own sober assessment of its best interests post Brexit and it can safely be assumed that the U.K. government sees huge economic value in not going there,” he said, according to the full text of the lecture, delivered at Oxford University’s Weston Library on Friday.

Comparing May’s travails in Brussels to those of Cameron, to whom Rogers also acted as EU sherpa between 2011 and 2013, he said that London was “rediscovering that legal form and process are critical in anything involving the EU, as indeed they are in all trade issues.”

He said that the Conservative party’s understanding of EU politics suffered after Cameron’s decision to withdraw from the powerful European People’s Party bloc in the European Parliament, and recalls a 2012 meeting in Berlin between the prime minister and Angela Merkel in which the German chancellor told Cameron “but your vision of the EU is so cold, David.”

“I think he thought this was the pot calling the kettle black,” Rogers recalls. “From a leader who calculated, to the nth degree, the domestic political viability and consequences of every step she took at EU level — whether on the euro, on Greece, on energy policy or on the migration crisis. But she also meant the importance of European political party family ties, which to her, as to others, are genuine bonds of solidarity which impact how far you are prepared to go for the other partner.”

It keeps getting better... :fantom:

• James Marshall locked this topic
  • Redoran unlocked this topic