IGNORED

Punk&Prikljucenije

fabius maximus

• 2 weeks later...

Ja pre svega slušam ska. Na price i recenzije imate više o novim (btw sjajnim ) postolarima.

Njihovi stihovi su jedna vrsta istine koja nije baš oduševljavajuća, ali sam čin autorstva jeste neka vrsta mača sa dve oštrice, s jedne strane dobijete jednu vrstu slave, a sa druge strane morate da budete još bolji na sledećem albumu, i naravno da je ovaj bend dve bolji ponovnim slušanjem, dobijaju
novac za svoja izdanja i recimo da su singlovi dovoljno dobro isproducirani, ali nikada neće biti na tv-u kojim dominiraju popularnije vrste muzike, kao što su sevdalinke, i recimo da su imali bolje inspiracije, bolje bi i prošli u etru.

• 3 weeks later...

WIPERS

Greg Sage, Wipers:

I wasn’t aware you had to look a certain way to be accepted in punk. Living in Portland, I wore flannel shirts, which I guess was the most uncool thing you could wear. A lot of people thought it was funny, they’d call me a logger. It’s funny how old photos from that era translated to what was going on in the early ‘80s with the grunge thing. So all of a sudden I became a leader of that. The first notable punk band from the northwest, the Wipers are the earliest link in a chain that leads directly to Nirvana and the rest of the Seattle bands of the ‘90s. Despite this, and despite the fact their songs have been covered by bands like Nirvana (twice) and Hole, the group has managed to stay out of sight in the United States (they are better known in Europe). Though the Wipers’ relative obscurity may be partly due to their ahead-of-its-time indie approach, in large part it can be attributed to their leader (and only constant member) Greg Sage, a talented songwriter and guitarist whose career has been uncompromising to the point of being self-defeating. Musically, it would be unfair to give the Wipers too much credit for starting the heavy metal/punk amalgamation that was dubbed “grunge” (credit for that goes more to Aberdeen, Washington’s Melvins). The Wipers, though, were a great band with great songs, whose greatest influence lay in the way they cleared a path in independent music for later Northwest bands to follow. From their base in Portland, the Wipers’ sent out a message of “be yourself” and “do-ityourself” that was heard throughout Oregon and up to the punk rock centers in Olympia and Seattle, Washington.

Van Conner, Screaming Trees:

The Wipers were – still are, actually – an influence for everybody in the Trees. The Wipers were just so far before their time. They were our favorite band for years and years. The idea of us taking everything a little more seriously came from the Wipers. Having fun doing it, but putting a little heart and blood into it. That’s not something that sells records, but it’s something people notice. From elementary school on, Greg Sage was interested in the recording process. His reason for writing songs as a teenager was more so he’d have something to record than out of a desire to express himself. Around 1977, he started playing music with his friends Dave Koupal (on bass) and Sam Henry (on drums). Though he had little knowledge or experience with punk rock at the time, when his band – which he named the Wipers – got invited to play live, he fell into Portland’s small punk scene. As a distant outpost of the early West Coast punk scene, Portland bands at the time were more of the “dress up” kind, imitating the leather and chains punk styles they saw in magazines. The Wipers, with their flannel shirts and jeans, clearly didn’t fit in, but when the band’s music caught on it sent a powerful message that good music was independent of fashions.

John McEntire, Tortoise / Sea and Cake:

He was kind of the first person to ever do stuff in [Portland, where McEntire grew up]. He was this amazingly enterprising guy who built his own studio in days when nobody did that, and put out his own records. It was before a lot of the hardcore bands were around. There was the same sort of independent idea happening, but before it was formulated and solidified by a larger community. I was a little too young to be fully impacted, but in time I came to understand how it developed on a local level.

Being from Portland proved problematic when the Wipers recorded their first single, BETTER OFF DEAD, and Sage tried to release it on his own label, Trap. “We’d call the distributors on the East Coast, and they’d ask where our label was based. I’d say Portland, Oregon, and they’d laugh and hang up,” Sage remembers. It necessitated a move to New York, though the Wipers eventually returned to Portland. With the release of their debut album IS THIS REAL? in 1980, Sage had developed a plan for how he wanted to make music. “My goal was to put out 15 albums in 10 years, and never play live, never do interviews, never put out photos,” he says. “To get people to listen I wanted to create a mystique, because the more that people know, the less they look into what you’re doing for the answers. But working with other people made it impossible. It was just a constant bombardment of ‘You have to do this, you have to do that.’”

Carrie Broumstein, Sleater-Kinney:

Greg Sage and the Wipers are totally legendary here [in the Northwest]. His lyrics really sum up this weird sort of depression of being in the Northwest a lot, without really targeting anything. I know that Corin [Tucker of Sleater-Kinney] totally loved his guitar playing in a way that influenced her.

Though he never achieved his recording goal, Sage was able to maintain a low profile and his independence by not signing multi-album deals with record companies, retaining complete control of the writing and production of Wipers material, and doing as little promotion as possible. Of course, his unwillingness to go along with established record company practices also limited his commercial viability. Still, IS THIS REAL? and the 1981 EP YOUTH OF AMERICA established the Wipers as the leading punk band in the northwest. At a time when Black Flag’s hardcore sound was coming to dominate punk scenes on the West Coast, Wipers songs like RETURN OF THE RAT (covered by Nirvana) were a throwback to the more melodic, hook-laden punk of the Ramones, while IS THIS REAL? was reminiscent of Elvis Costello. With YOUTH OF AMERICA, Sage and a new Wipers lineup moved even further away from the current “short and fast” punk style with a 10-minute epic title track and more new wave / post-punk explorations.

Chris Cornell, Soundgarden:

We played shows with them and they were a really big influence on our band overall. They were an example to me of a band that could have punk aggression and post-punk sensibilities in their instrumental approach, but at the same time write songs that would stick with you and be as important to you as any band you’d grown up listening to. The first time I ever met our drummer Matt [Cameron] he played me a bunch of 4-track demos he’d recorded, and they sounded really cool. And then he played the Wipers, and I asked him, “Is that you, too?” And he just kind of rolled his eyes and said, “I wish.”

As the ‘80s progressed, the Wipers settled into a comfortable anonymity. Without much attention from the music press or radio, Sage continued to produce increasingly polished and consistently good albums such as OVER THE EDGE – which featured standouts like DOOM TOWN and the title track that Hole later covered – as well as LAND OF THE LOST. In 1985, Sage also released his first solo album, which he recorded (like all Wipers material) in his own studio. Then, as the ‘80s ended and the Northwest rock scene was teetering on the verge of national prominence, Sage moved away from Portland. Disappointed with the growing metropolitanism of the region, he took refuge in the wide-open desert near Phoenix, where he built a new recording studio, pursued solo work, and produced other groups.

Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown:

Greg Sage is the king songwriter. His solo record, Straight Ahead, is probably the most influential thing I’ve ever heard. It’s all songwriting, no bullshit. And Wipers songs like DOOM TOWN, I think that’s where I got my fascination with naming songs with “town” in them, like “Inn Town” and “Mining Town.” Some songs on [Whiskeytown’s] Strangers Almanac, like “Turn Around,” are extremely influenced by Greg Sage.

After a second solo album in 1991, Wipers drummer Steve Plouf joined Sage in Arizona and they began recording the first new Wipers album in nearly five years. SILVER SAIL, released in 1993, coincided with the band’s growing prominence as a result of endorsements by Kurt Cobain (who told Melody Maker in 1992, “The Wipers started grunge in Portland in 1977”) and a Wipers tribute album. Though it easily could have been the Wipers commercial breakthrough, Sage deliberately sabotaged himself. He says, “When Nirvana and Hole and a bunch of other well known bands were making it fashionable to cover Wipers songs, the record company was calling me up saying, ‘This is your time.’ I had some stuff I was going to record but I got cold feet because I was afraid of jumping on my own bandwagon. So I ended up rewriting SILVER SAIL to be something so off-base, a lot less distorted and mellower. I just didn’t like the feeling, after all the work I’d done before, of just becoming popular because of a fluke.” Sure enough, the record went nowhere. A second Phoenix-based Wipers record, 1996’s THE HERD, was a strong return to form that gained widespread critical praise. By the end of the year, though, Sage and Plouf played their final gig as the Wipers and forever retired the band (in name, at least). Sage, meanwhile, continues to record – both his own music and that of others – and design studio equipment. After 20 years, he’s still doing his thing; still independent and still largely unknown.

Iz knjige Secret History of Rock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...