IGNORED

Tom Waits

Indy

Burma Shave(Foreign Affairs studio version, 1977)Licorice tattoo turned a gun metal blueScrawled across the shoulders of a dying townTook the one eyed Jacks(2) across the railroad tracks(3)And the scar on its belly pulled a stranger passing throughHe's a juvenile delinquent, never learned how to behaveBut the cops'd never think to look in Burma-ShaveAnd the road was like a ribbon, and the moon was like a boneHe didn't seem to be like any guy she'd ever knownHe kind of looked like Farley Granger(4), with his hair slicked backShe says 'I'm a sucker for a fella in a cowboy hat.How far are you going?'Said 'Depends on what you mean'He says 'I'm only stopping here to get some gasoline''I guess I'm going thataway, just as long as it's pavedAnd I guess you'd say I'm on my way to Burma-Shave'And with her knees up on the glove compartmentShe took out her barrettes, and her hair spilled out like rootbeerAnd she popped her gum and arched her back'Hell, Marysville(1) ain't nothing but a wide spot in the roadSome nights my heart pounds like thunderDon't know why it don't explodeCause everyone in this stinking town's got one foot in the graveAnd I'd rather take my chances out in Burma-Shave''Presley's(5) what I go by, why don't you change the stationsCount the grain elevators in the rearview mirror'She said, 'Mister, anywhere you point this thingIt got to beat the hell out of the sting(6)Of going to bed with every dream that dies here every mornin'And so drill me a hole with a barber pole(7)And I'm jumping my parole just like a fugitive tonightWhy don't you have another swig(8), and pass that car if you're so braveI wanna get there 'fore the sun comes up in Burma-Shave 'And the spider web crack and the mustang screamedThe smoke from the tires and the twisted machineJust a nickel's worth of dreams, and every wishbone that they savedLie swindled from them on the way to Burma-ShaveAnd the sun hit the derrick and cast a bat wing shadowUp against the car door on the shotgun side(9)And when they pulled her from the wreckYou know, she still had on her shades(10)They say that dreams are growing wildjust this sideof Burma-ShaveWritten by: Tom WaitsPublished by: Fifth Floor Music, Inc. (ASCAP),? 1977 & Warner Bros. Music Ltd, 1986Official release: "Foreign Affairs", Elektra Entertainment/ WEA International Inc., 1977 &"Bounced Checks", WEA/ Asylum Records, 1981 &"Anthology Of Tom Waits", WEA/ Elektra, 1984 &"Asylum Years", WEA International Inc., 1986Notes:(1)Burma Shave:- Larry Goldstein (1978): Waits' latest LP is entitled Foreign Affairs, and it seems destined to be his biggest seller to date. His voice has never been better, though to the new listener it migh t grate like flesh over gravel. The difference in his vocal performance is best evidenced on the cut "Burma Shave" on which, as Waits explained, "I was trying to sing instead of just growling and grunting, which, by the time I get off the road is all I can muster up." (Source: "Nighthawks at the Chelsea", Modern Hi-Fi and Musics SOUND TRAX: Larry Goldstein. October, 1978)- Brian Case (1979): Did he get "Burma Shave" from the Nick Ray movie, They Live By Night, from 1947? TW: "Yeah, that's the one. In fact that's a great story. Very sad at the end where he gets mowed down at the motel. Farley Granger does soap operas now, I think. He was in Minneapolis and this woman disc jockey played it for him and he got a real kick out of it. He always played the baby-face hood. He don't work much any more. I guess Sal Mineo got most of his roles. Yeah, I used that. I kept coming back to that movie image. Also, I have a lot of relatives in this little town called Marysville, and a cousin, her name is Corrine Johnson, and every time I'd go up there from Los Angeles in the summers, she was alway s like you know 'Christ man - I gotta get outa this fucking town. I wanna go to LA.' She finally did. She hitch-hiked out and stood by this Foster Freeze on Prom Night. Got in a car with a guy who was just some juvinile delinquent, and he took her all the way to LA where she eventually cracked up. Burma Shave was a shaving cream company. Abandoned in the late Fifties. Useta advertise all along the highway. I always thought it was the name of a town. (Source: "Wry & Danish to go". "MelodyMaker" magazine. Brian Case. Copenhagen, Early 1979)burmashave1.jpg- Kristine McKenna (1983): What do you consider your best work? TW: "I like the story in "Burma Shave" off Foreign Affairs, "Tom Traubert's Blues" off the new album. I like "Dave The Butcher" and "In The Neighborhood". (Source: "One From The Heart & One For The Road ". New Musical Express magazine. October 1, 1983. Interview by: Kristine McKenna)- Tom Waits (1985): "Burma Shave is an American shaving-cream company, like Colgate. They advertise on the side of the road and they have these limericks which are broken up into different signs like pieces of a fortune cookie. You drive for miles before you get the full message. "PLEASE DON'T"... five miles... "STICK YOUR ARM OUT SO FAR"... another five miles... "IT MIGHT GO HOME"... five more miles... "IN ANOTHER MAN'S CAR - BURMA SHAVE." They reel you in. So when I was a kid I'd see these signs on the side of the road - BURMA SHAVE, BURMA SHAVE - and I'm young and I think it's the name of a town and I ask my dad, "When we getting to Burma Shave?" So in the song I used Burma Shave as a dream, a mythical community, a place two people are trying to get to. They don't make it." (Source: "Dog Day Afternoon" Time Out magazine (UK), by Richard Rayner. Date: New York, October 3-9, 1985)- Live intro from 'Storming Heaven Benefit". Healdsburg. August 11, 1996: "Ths is about a small little town... When I was a kid we used to drive cross country. And for those of you who are old enough, you might remember the Burma-Shave signs on the side of the highway [some applause]. Thank you, all six of you! Anyway, this is about that. My dad yelling at me to hold my horses! And thirty years later I yelled at my kids to hold THEIR horses. So this is about a small little town. One of those tiny little towns by the side of the road. And somebody thumbing a ride trying to get out of town..." (Transcribed by Ulf Berggren. Listserv Raindogs discussionlist. November, 1999) burmashave2.jpg(2)Across the (railroad) tracks: phr. [20C] inferior, second-rate (cf. WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS). [the area of a town in which the poor supposedly live; f. an era when many US towns were literally divided, socially as well as physically, by the railroadtracks] (Source: "Cassell's Dictionary Of Slang". Jonathon Green. Cassel & Co., 1998. ISBN: 0-304-35167-9) (3)One Eyed Jack- Tom Waits (1979): "You know, a one eyed Jack is like a... You got one headlight burned out on your car. It's called a one eyed Jack." (Live version of "Burma Shave". Sydney, Australia. March, 1979) (4)Granger, Farley: Farley Earle Granger. Born: San Jose, Ca., July 1 1925. American actor and author. From 1943 on he played in films like: Edge of Doom, Arrowsmith, Strangers On A Train and They Live by Night (this movie by Nick Ray from 1947 (1949?) was the inspiration for the song Burma Shave). "Synopsis: "This boy...and this girl...were never properly introduced to the world we live in." With this superimposed opening title, director Nicholas Ray inaugurates his first feature, They Live by Night. Farley Granger and Cathy O'Donnell play a "Bonnie and Clyde"-type fugitive couple, who in trying to escape their past are hell-bent down the road to Doom. Despite their criminal activities, Bowie (Granger) and Keechie (O'Donnell) are hopelessly na?ve, fabricating their own idyllic dream world as the authorities close in. The entrapment -- both actual and symbolic -- of the young misfit couple can now be seen as a precursor to the dilemma facing James Dean in Ray's 1955 film Rebel Without a Cause. A box-office disappointment upon its first release, They Live by Night has since gained stature as one of the most sensitive and least-predictable entries in the film noir genre. The film was based on a novel by Edward Anderson, and in 1974 was filmed by Robert Altman under its original title, Thieves Like Us. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide" burmashave3.jpg(5)Presley, Elvis: Elvis Aaron Presley. Born: January 8 1935. Died: August 16, 1977. (Burma Shave was released 1977). - Tom Waits (1993): "I was in Memphis recently for a wedding and I couldn't resist going to Graceland. I especially liked the bullet holes in the swing set and the red faced uniformed teen usherettes and their memorized text delivered while gesturing at the rusted play structure. "Elvis and the boys were just having a little too much fun one night and came out for a some target practice." They also mentioned that Elvis had picked out all the furniture for the Jungle Room in just thirty minutes." (Source: "Tom Foolery - Swapping stories with inimitable Tom Waits". Buzz Magazine: May 1993) (6)Sting: [1970s] a police undercover operation designed to entrap alleged criminals (Source: "Cassell's Dictionary Of Slang". Jonathon Green. Cassel & Co., 1998. ISBN: 0-304-35167-9)(7)Barber pole: The medieval symbol of a barber was a vertical pole with red and white spiraling stripes. In the 20th century some of these were displayed on the street powered by an electric motor, and had the appearance of a drill drilling into the sidewalk (Submitted by Gary Duncan. Raindogs Listserv discussionlist. September, 2000)(8)Swig n.: A swallow, gulp, or mouthful, esp. of whisky (Source: Dictionary Of American Slang, Wentworth/ Flexner). Also mentioned in Falling Down: "Go on take a swig of that poison and like it."(9)Shotgun side n.: The passenger seat in a vehicle. Origin: the American west (i.e. during the 1800s.) The "shotgun" was the person that sat next to the driver of a wagon with a shotgun, watching for trouble. (Source: The Online Slang Dictionary, Walter Rader)(10)Shades- n. pl.: A pair of sunglasses. Orig. bop musician use c1948-c1955; now mainly beat and student use (Source: Dictionary Of American Slang - Supplement, Wentworth/ Flexner).- Also mentioned in "A Sweet Little Bullet From A Pretty Blue Gun" (Now never trust a scarecrow wearin' shades after dark)Part of theTom Waits Library?1999-2007

Tom Waits VH1 Storytellers - April 1, 1999 ...Oh, story ? ahhmm ? this has got weather in it too, like that other song with the rain in it ? ahhmm ? David Lynch said that you need a very comfortable chair, and you have to be very very quiet if you wanna catch the big ones ? and ? I don?t know what that means ? it relates to this ? Sylvia Miles though said, that people come and go ? men will come and go, but theatrical memorabilia will never let you down ? as long as you keep it in the laminated clear plastic, and you just wipe it down with a wet towel ? well the people prefer that over people themselves ? ahm, oh, ohh ? alright ? ohh, here ? this is what this is about ? there is an automobile in this song, as usual ? and ? my wife says that I write two different kinds of songs ? grand weepers and grim reapers ?and this one combines both ? and my wife and I collaborate on a great deal of songs, and this is one of those songs ? I hold the nail and she swings the hammer ? I wash and she dries ? and this is one of those : A Little Rain Well, the ice man's mule is parked outside the bar Where a man with missing fingers plays a strange guitar And the German dwarf dances with the butcher's son And tonight a little rain never hurt no one Well, they're dancing on the roof and the ceiling's coming down And I sleep with my shovel and my leather gloves and a little trouble makes it worth the going And a little rain never hurt no one Oh, the world is round and I'll go around You must risk something that matters Oh, my hands are strong I'll take any man here If it's worth the going it's worth the ride She was 15 years old and she?d never seen the ocean She climbed into a van with a vagabond And the last thing she said was "I love you mom" And a little rain never hurt no one And a little rain never hurt no one

Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom Waits highlight Bridge 21By Jim Harrington, San Jose Mercury News 29 Oct 2007....Bay Area music fans are spoiled. There were grumblings to be heard once again this year about how the Bridge School Benefit lineup wasn't that strong.Not that strong? The 21st annual Bridge, which went down on Saturday and Sunday at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, featured two of pop music's greatest songwriters (Tom Waits and event founder, Neil Young), one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll (Jerry Lee Lewis) and arguably the most important metal band of all time (Metallica)....The rest of us, however, were ready to see the crooner leave so that we could get to the good stuff.That's exactly what we got once Waits took the stage with the modern instrumental combo Kronos Quartet. It wasn't the first time that this collaboration occurred _ it also happened in 2003 during a benefit concert in New York City for actor Richard Gere's Healing the Divide Foundation _ yet it felt like we were witnessing a once-in-a-lifetime occasion. The ensemble produced utterly spine-chilling versions of some of Waits' finest compositions, including ``Way Down in the Hole'' and ``God's Away on Business.''...METAL MASTERS PROVIDE 'SHOCKER'; CULT STAR WAITS STEALS THE SHOW.... Edited by Indy

Indy, kad ćeš da kačiš one albume koje Tom Waits voli da sluša? :) Evo jedne vesti na sličnu temu: TWJukebox_thumb.jpgThis is sort of an odd album concept. However, 101cd.com is taking orders for an upcoming album entitled Tom Waits? Jukebox: The Songs that Inspired the Man. The album is made up of songs from a variety of artists such as Ray Charles, Thelonious Monk and Howlin? Wolf who have had an influence on Mr. Waits? style. The CD also contains a 16 page booklet. Track Listing

• 2 weeks later...

Ol' '55(Closing Time studio version, 1973)(one, two, three, four)Well, my time went so quicklyI went lickety-splitly(2) out to my ol' fifty-fiveAs I pulled away slowly, feelin' so holyGod knows I was feelin' aliveNow the sun's comin' up, I'm ridin' with Lady LuckFreeway cars and trucksStars beginnin' to fade, and I lead the paradeJust a-wishin' I'd stayed a little longerOh Lord, let me tell you that the feeling gettin' strongerAnd it's six in the mornin'Gave me no warnin', I had to be on my wayWell, there's trucks all a-passin' me, and the lights all a-flashin'I'm on my way home from your placeAnd now the sun's comin' up, I'm ridin' with Lady LuckFreeway cars and trucksStars beginnin' to fade, and I lead the paradeJust a-wishin' I'd stayed a little longerOh Lord, let me tell you the feeling gettin' strongerAnd my time went so quicklyI went lickety-splitly out to my ol' fifty-fiveAs I pulled away slowly, feelin' so holyGod knows I was feelin' aliveAnd now the sun's comin' up, I'm ridin' with Lady LuckFreeway cars and trucksFreeway cars and trucksFreeway cars and trucksWritten by: Tom WaitsPublished by: Fifth Floor Music Inc. (ASCAP), ?1973Official release: "Closing Time", Elektra Entertainment/ WEA International Inc., 1973 &"Anthology Of Tom Waits", WEA/ Elektra, 1984Arrangement and lyrics published in "Tom Waits - Anthology" (Amsco Publications, 1988/ Nuova Carisch, 2000)Notes:(1)Live intro from Passims, Cambridge, November 10, 1974: "This a about a '55 Buick Roadmaster. I don't know if there's any real bona fide Buick owners out there tonight. But my goodness, that's an automobile that I swear by. It's a car that's seriously as slick as deer guts on the door knob. Climb aboard one of those suckers, make you feel like a new man. And eh... I always had these cars that I bought for like a hundred and twenty-five dollars. You sink 'bout thirty-five hundred into them, and you sell 'em for twelfe fifty or so. [A lot of noise adjusting the microphone] Rattle like a damned sewing machine... And eh... I stuck to the Buick line for several years. I had two Specials, one was a kind of... now how can I put this? It was kind of monkey brown and eh... monkey feces brown, you see what I mean. Two-tone. It was a lot of chrome, kinda looked like a Wurlitzer jukebox. And I had two of those Specials, the other was kinda vomit yellow, it [?]. And I had a couple of Centuries, finally I had a Super. And then I finally picked up on this Roadmaster, and lucky to get it! So this is called 'My Ol' '55'." (Transcribed by Ulf Berggren. Tom Waits eGroups discussionlist, 2000)buick.jpgQ (1975): how did the Eagles come into contact with Ol' '55? TW: "I was in a bar one night and I ran into one of those guys and they said that they'd heard the record and they might want to do it on one of their records and then I was on the road for 3 months and I never heard anything about it and then it showed up on that album. I frankly was not that particularly crazy about their rendition of it. The song is about 5 years old, it's one of the first songs I wrote so I felt like it was kind of flattering that somebody wanted to do your song but at the same time I thought their version was a little antiseptic and then it got picked up by Ian Matthews and Eric Andersen - and I don't know, frankly I guess I'm a little more fond of my own version of it than I am theirs." (Source: WAMU Radio Interview. Date: Washington, DC. April 18, 1975)Live intro from Westchester, PA, 1976: "Here's a real old song for you. Actually, it's about the very first car I ever stole. You know... I don't know, I still remain somehow a victim of circumcision, in the sense that I have a tendency to be cursed with terminal car trouble. And I don't expect it to let up at all. I never paid more than a hundred and twenty-five dollars for a car. And I ain't about to change now. But I would like to have maybe a 1976 Chevrolet station wagon, and sand it down and primer the thing. You saw me in a station wagon? (Yeah) Where did you see me in a station wagon? (something) In Philly? Yeah, I was in a station wagon once. (something) Oh, you mean it was there at the intersection? (Yeah, I was something, something out the window) You were the one, yeah! I'd like to have a big round of applause for my brother-in-law right there. Phil's been out of prison now for a couple of years, but... (No, they ain't caught me yet!) Yeah, I know, that child molesting charge really got you, didn't it? I mean after a second offense and everything, it's kinda hard to say, but... (No, lucky first time!) (or something) Eh... Well, this is eh..." (Transcribed by Ulf Berggren. Tom Waits eGroups discussionlist, 2000)Live intro from Storyteller show, recorded April 1, 1999 in Los Angeles: "This is a song about an automobile. I had a '55 Buick Roadmaster when I was a kid. Actually, this really eh... was inspired by an old friend of mine named Larry Beezer, who... I was staying at the Tropicana Hotel, and I got a knock on the door very late and... Was that a clap for the Tropicana? Excellent! I don't think I got any new towels for the whole like nine years I was there. But I never asked, I didn't wanna upset anybody. This is about eh... What was it about again? It was about eh... It was about the car! All right, Beezer came over at about 2 a.m. He said, 'I'm on a date, and she's only seventeen, and I gotta get her back to Pasadena. And all I got left on the car is reverse.' I said, 'How can I help?' He said, 'I need gas money', and so he sold me a couple of jokes. He said, 'You can have these jokes, and you don't even have to tell folks that they're mine, cause you paid for 'em for chrissake!' And I said, 'That sounds like a good deal to me.' Anyway, he rode home, in reverse, on the Pasadena freeway. In the slow lane. I think they should give awards for that kind of thing! But anyway, it was a '55 eh... what was it? Was it a '55 Caddy?" (Transcribed by Ulf Berggren. Tom Waits eGroups discussionlist, 2000)Tom Waits (on The Eagles' cover of Ol' '55): "Naw - I don't like the Eagles. They're about as exciting as watching paint dry. Their albums are good for keeping the dust off your turntable and that's about all." (Source: "Tom Waits: Would You Say This Man Was Attempting To Convey An Impression Of Sordid Bohemianism". New Musical Express (UK), by Fred Dellar. Date: June 5, 1976)(2)Lickety-split adv.: Lickety splickly. Fast; at great speed (Source: Dictionary Of American Slang, Wentworth/ Flexner)

41wprR9zrKL._AA240_.jpgThe Many Lives of Tom WaitsPatrick Humphries2007, Omnibus PressPročitah, posle dužeg odlaganja ? iz objektivnih razloga :D ? za ciglo par dana (cca 350 strana). Kakve znaju da budu muzičke biografije, ova nije neuspela (ako uporedim sa, npr. Bob Dylan Behind the Shades od Clinton Heylina, koja je baš bila naporna za praćenje). Knjiga je ponegde kritikovana zbog preopširnosti i blagoglagoljivosti ? to i nije bez osnova. U početku mi je i zasmetalo, ali kad sam se navikao na Humphriesov "opširni" stil, nisam imao veći problem sa tim. Istini za volju, većinu anegdota i bezbrojnih Waitsovih citata (po čemu je zaista jedinstven) sam znao i od ranije, zahvaljujući časopisima i internetu. Kao nepokajani idolopoklonik, imao sam blage grčeve dok sam čitao kritičke prikaze određenih albuma i na njima mi dragih pesama (ali, morao sam da se podsetim da knjigu piše rock novinar, a ne nužno fan). Mada, ispostavilo se da Humphries i jeste veliki fan, možda ne toliko pojedinačnih pesama i albuma, koliko "lika i dela", i onoga što je Waits vremenom ? možda i bez namere ? počeo da označava na današnjoj sceni.Bez obzira koliko su pojedinačni detalji iz Waitsovog života možda poznati, ovako skupljeni na jednom mestu, daju nekako "holističkiju" sliku o njemu (recimo, postaje upadljivije jasno zašto je Waitsovo uporno opiranje turnejama zadnjih par decenija sasvim na mestu, kada se ima u vidu našta je to ličilo u ranim danima, i koliki je danak to uzimalo, u svakom smislu). Postaje i očito koliko je prisustvo jednog takvog ekscentrika ? kao, recimo, značajnog na današnjoj sceni ? rezultat ne malog broja srećnih slučajnosti (kako Waits sam kaže, "dobio sam tri trešnje ? kao u jackpotu"). Njegovo gotovo decenijsko boravljenje na Asylum etiketi i nije rezultat nekakvog njegovog ranog uspeha (komercijalno, sve je to bilo više nego mršavo), npr. koliko "srećne" okolnosti da su tadašnje zlatne guske (tipa The Eagles), praktično subvencionirale njegovu delatnost. Njega su Asylum (a donekle i Island) držali više kao nekog "pokaznog artistu" (sve dok im se nije učinilo da im to više ne treba). Slična "srećna okolnost" bila je i saradnja sa Coppolom, u taman pravom trenutku (kad mu je muzička karijera izgleda zapela, ostao bez ugovora i bez love, napustila ga devojka). Naravo, dok je bio kod Coppole (gde je imao svoju kancelariju! - jedinstven slučaj u njegovom životu), sreo je i svoju buduću ženu, muzu i (kako se posle pokazalo) vrlo značajnu koautorku. Da ne prepričavam sad knjigu, uglavnom, ona prilično detaljno (neki bi rekli: previše detaljno) razmatra Waitsovu filmsku karijeru. Mora se reći da, slično nekim albumima, Humphries ostaje manje nego impresioniran većinom Waitsovih filmova (ali ne i Waitsovom glumom u njima, koju uglavnom hvali). Tu sam se, takođe, duboko "nesložio" sa Humphriesom (pogotovo sa njegovom očitom neprijemčivošću na filmski jezik Jim Jarmuscha). Kao i u slučaju albuma, tako i u vezi filmova, javnih nastupa, pozorišnih predstava i sl., Humphries ? za moj ukus ? prečesto "proverava" da li je Waits uspeo ili ne, prevashodno kroz reakciju kritičke (i druge) javnosti, radije nego kroz ? svoj sopstveni sud.Mislim da bi, bez obzira na neke manjkavosti, svaki Waits fan (muzički i/ili filmski), ipak, uživao u knjizi, a vrlo verovatno i oni koji nisu fanovi (ako ih, recimo, zanimaju "nezavisna" muzika i filmovi, u principu). Ne budite previše kritični, zavalite se udobno, pustite nešto odgovarajuće u backgroundu (preporučujem Waitsu omiljenog Thelonius Monka) ...i, Come on up to the house. Edited by Indy
  • 2 weeks later...

Da li "vlasnik" topića priprema neki program-specijal za sutrašnji Veliki Dan? :) Ja mogu dati svoj skromni doprinos u vidu prekucavanja teksta "Gazde Sigela" na srpskom, ako treba..

Možemo, naravno, neka u pozadini ide Goodnight Irene sa Orphansa.. :wink: Nisam znao da je 6-og umro, ali sad vidim da itekako ima smisla.Možda je Leadbelly inkarnirao u Toma Waitsa, nije isključeno..A evo, danas čak Dalaj Lama rek'o kako je veoma moguće da će ga naslediti žena nakon njegove smrti.

cheers.jpgDon't you know that it's worth every treasure on earthTo be young at heartFor as rich as you are it's much better by farTo be young at heartAnd if you should survive to 105Look at all you'll derive out of being aliveThen here is the best partYou have a head startIf you are among the very young at heart

• 1 month later...

Rain Dogs je moj omiljeni album. U vreme kaseta, napunio sam kasetu od 60 minuta pesmama sa Rain Dogs, odstranivsi nekoliko umjetnickih komada i dobio, verovatno, najneverovatniju zbirku pesama u rock'n'rollu. A onda je stigla Kathleen i sav taj teatar... Volim i Blue Valentines, Small Change, The Heart of Saturday NightPoslednji dobar, po meni: Mule Variations. Dobar je bio i Bone Machine.Swordfishtrombones - precenjen.