IGNORED

john updike rip

luba

NEW YORK ? John Updike, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist, prolific man of letters and erudite chronicler of sex, divorce and other adventures in the postwar prime of the American empire, died Tuesday at age 76.Updike, a resident of Beverly Farms, Mass., died of lung cancer, according to a statement from his publisher, Alfred A. Knopf.A literary writer who frequently appeared on best seller lists, the tall, hawk-nosed Updike wrote novels, short stories, poems, criticism, the memoir "Self-Consciousness" and even a famous essay about baseball great Ted Williams.An old-fashioned believer in hard work, he published more than 50 books in a career that started in the 1950s. Updike won virtually every literary prize, including two Pulitzers, for "Rabbit Is Rich" and "Rabbit at Rest," and two National Book Awards. "It is with great sadness that I report that John Updike died this morning at the age of 76, after a battle with lung cancer," Knopf publicity director Nicholas Latimer said in a statement. Over a career spanning more than half a century, the poetic, but accessible writer published at least a dozen short story collections and 25 novels, notably the Rabbit series. He also wrote hundreds of short stories, poetry, literary criticism and reviews in The New Yorker magazine. "He was one of our greatest writers and he will be sorely missed," Latimer said. The Washington-based Academy of Achievement described Updike as "one of America's premier men of letters." Updike recounted how a sickly childhood on a farm in Pennsylvania prepared him for a cerebral life. "He suffered from psoriasis and a stammer, ailments that set him apart from his peers. He found solace in writing, and won a scholarship to Harvard," the Academy of Achievement noted. Updike went on to edit the famous Lampoon humor magazine at Harvard and then published a poem and fiction in the New Yorker soon after graduating. "My mother had dreams of being a writer and I used to see her type in the front room. The front room is also where I would go when I was sick so I would sit there and watch her," Updike said. He published his book of poetry, "The Carpentered Hen and Other Tame Creatures," in 1958 and after a good reception for his debut novel "The Poorhouse Fair" he wrote the ambitous "Rabbit, Run" -- first of a series. The descriptions of Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom's sexual escapades were shocking for the time, but after some changes to the text, Updike won widespread acclaim and his place as a leading US author. Later editions of "Rabbit, Run" restored the original wording. Updike was the grandson of a Presbyterian minister and had strong religious convictions, although he did talk about suffering doubts. Characters in his books lived mostly in small towns, but their lives were bound up in philosphical questions. "The three great secret things" in human existence, he once said, are sex, art and religion.ocekivalo se, ali opet.ko zeku nije citao, pravac u biblioteku

Edited by luba