IGNORED

Coronavirus Covid-19 - opšta tema

Skyhighatrist

a plus da prenesem i tekst iz FT o kilavosti Fajzera spram Omikrona:

However, Alex Sigal, head of research at the Durban-based laboratory, said that despite the significant reduction in antibody production, Omicron did not evade the vaccine entirely. In a much more positive finding, the researchers reported that people who had previously been infected with Covid-19 in addition to having been double-vaccinated retained “relatively high levels” of antibody protection. That would “likely confer protection from severe disease in Omicron infection”, they added.

The preliminary results follow the rapid spread of the Omicron variant since it was first identified in South Africa in late November, raising concerns among health experts that it could evade existing vaccines. Ugur Sahin, chief executive of BioNTech, responded to the publication of the South African study by saying the company expected to publish its own data later this week. “I would be more optimistic,” he told NBC.

Eric Topol, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, said the results suggested vaccine makers would probably have to develop a new class of Omicron-specific boosters. “It looks like what we’d expect, going along with the many vaccine breakthrough cases that have already been reported with Omicron,” he added. Danny Altmann, professor of immunology at Imperial College London, said the South African study raised hopes that “boosted people would typically be safe”.

The study showed that doubled-jabbed people who had also previously been infected were “all in the safe zone”, according to Altmann, who said this group was in some ways comparable with people who had received three doses. Jacob Glanville, a computational immunologist and founder of US therapeutics company Centivax, said the study suggested most double-vaccinated people would be susceptible to infection from Omicron. “The reason [public health officials] are asking people to boost is because . . . [double-vaccinated] people will have a little bit of antibody protection but most won’t have enough to usefully neutralise the virus,” he added. Still, Glanville added that T-cells, which target a wider portion of the virus than antibodies, would allow double-vaccinated people to “retain protection against severe disease”.

Morgan Stanley said the African Research Institute’s data suggested a significant drop in vaccine effectiveness below 50 per cent against symptomatic disease with Omicron. “While we await further data from Moderna and Pfizer, we believe the likelihood of a variant specific booster is increased,” said Matthew Harrison, an analyst at Morgan Stanley. Last week, Stéphane Bancel, Moderna’s chief executive, warned that the new variant would likely result in a “material drop” in vaccine effectiveness. Separately, researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institutet said they had observed “exceptionally variable” loss of neutralisation against Omicron, with some samples “showing almost no loss” and some showing considerably more.

The average loss of potency of neutralisation was “lower than feared”, which would make Omicron worse than Delta but “not as extreme as we expected”, said Ben Murrell, one of the investigators. The researchers used a pseudovirus engineered to look like the new strain in their experiments. They said that what was common between the South African and Swedish studies was that “neutralisation is not completely lost for all samples, which is positive”.

Neutralisation assays cannot predict perfectly whether a vaccine will be effective. Earlier on Tuesday, Kate O’Brien, the head of vaccines at the World Health Organization, said: “We know already that antibody performance against variants is one piece of information” but that more complete studies on effectiveness would not be complete for some time.

• Hvala 1
1 hour ago, Aleksija said:

juce pomenem na poslu da nas moguce ceka novi talas pre kraja godine, i to krajnje odmereno, bez ikakve elaboracije. svi skoce na mene da mi objasne da je ovo zavrseno, da je virus oslabljen i da ne mracim.

kako i ne bi, to je preovladjujuci stav nasih medija, a i strucnjaka bogami.

ovaj talas cemo docekati jos manje spremni nego prethodne. iako je delovalo nemoguce.

Ovo ce nas skupo kostati. Sta se zalecu Sekler i kompanija. Napravise ogroman problem. Zar im nije dovoljan podatak o zaraznosti omikrona da se ne zalecu, a parametara je mnogo, i jos je rano za neke takve tvrdnje

• +1 2
Ovo ce nas skupo kostati. Sta se zalecu Sekler i kompanija. Napravise ogroman problem. Zar im nije dovoljan podatak o zaraznosti omikrona da se ne zalecu, a parametara je mnogo, i jos je rano za neke takve tvrdnje
zato shto smo svi prsli uglavu i oni sa nama, eto zashto :dry:

sent from novi mnogo jak bubamoto.

6 minutes ago, gospa buba said:

zato shto smo svi prsli uglavu i oni sa nama, eto zashto :dry:

sent from novi mnogo jak bubamoto.

Ova poslednja izjava Seklera je neozbiljna. A gde su svi ostali koji se motaju po tv-u, od strucnjaka iz kriznog staba, preko Gligicke itd...sto narod slusa i prepricava 

46 minutes ago, Sandradjer said:

to me je i ponukalo da krenem da nabrajam sve izjave™. Srbija jednostavno nema stručnjake tog profila koji mogu relevantno da komentarišu bilo šta. Da plastično objasnim, bilo bi kao da profesora ETF pitate nešto o gradnji nuklearne elektrane. Razume se ponešto i ima utisak da zna, ali izveo je nula tih projekata u Srbiji, tako i ovo... 

• +1 1

Jedan moj kolega (sad penzioner) je na svako palamudjenje samo ponavljao Sve moj do mojega :D

Ipak su kriterijumi nisko, ipak je realno ocekivati dovoljno pameti da se kaze Jos nista ne znamo, povoljno je to i to, zabrinjava to i to.

Sve to slusa poprilicno nevakcinisan narod koji negira kovid, onda umoran narod od svega ovoga. Svi zelimo pozitivne vesti da cujemo

• +1 1

ako u nečiji sud verujem, to je njegov.

nema apokaliptične drame, samo savet da se bustujemo. "...to ne znači da vakcina 40x manje štiti.... realan gubitak imuniteta je mnogo manji"

• +1 4
  • Hvala 1

Ceo tekst saopštenja:

PFIZER AND BIONTECH PROVIDE UPDATE ON OMICRON VARIANT
Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 06:54am

- Preliminary laboratory studies demonstrate that three doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine neutralize the Omicron variant (B.1.1.529 lineage) while two doses show significantly reduced neutralization titers
- Data indicate that a third dose of BNT162b2 increases the neutralizing antibody titers by 25-fold compared to two doses against the Omicron variant; titers after the booster dose are comparable to titers observed after two doses against the wild-type virus which are associated with high levels of protection
- As 80% of epitopes in the spike protein recognized by CD8+ T cells are not affected by the mutations in the Omicron variant, two doses may still induce protection against severe disease
- The companies continue to advance the development of a variant-specific vaccine for Omicron and expect to have it available by March in the event that an adaption is needed to further increase the level and duration of protection – with no change expected to the companies’ four billion dose capacity for 2022

NEW YORK & MAINZ, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced results from an initial laboratory study demonstrating that serum antibodies induced by the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (BNT162b2) neutralize the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant after three doses. Sera obtained from vaccinees one month after receiving the booster vaccination (third dose of BNT162b2 vaccine) neutralized the Omicron variant to levels that are comparable to thoseobserved for the wild-type SARS-CoV-2 spike protein after two doses.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211208005542/en/

Sera from individuals who received two doses of the current COVID-19 vaccine did exhibit, on average, more than a 25-fold reduction in neutralization titers against the Omicron variant compared to wild-type, indicating that two doses of BNT162b2 may not be sufficient to protect against infection with the Omicron variant. However, as the vast majority of epitopes targeted by vaccine-induced T cells are not affected by the mutations in Omicron, the companies believe that vaccinated individuals may still be protected against severe forms of the disease and are closely monitoring real world effectiveness against Omicron, globally.

A more robust protection may be achieved by a third dose as data from additional studies of the companies indicate that a booster with the current COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech increases the antibody titers by 25-fold. According to the companies’ preliminary data, a third dose provides a similar level of neutralizing antibodies to Omicron as is observed after two doses against wild-type and other variants that emerged before Omicron. These antibody levels are associated with high efficacy against both the wild-type virus and these variants. A third dose also strongly increases CD8+ T cell levels against multiple spike protein epitopes which are considered to correlate with the protection against severe disease. Compared to the wild-type virus, the vast majority of these epitopes remain unchanged in the Omicron spike variant.

“Although two doses of the vaccine may still offer protection against severe disease caused by the Omicron strain, it’s clear from these preliminary data that protection is improved with a third dose of our vaccine,” said Albert Bourla, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Pfizer. “Ensuring as many people as possible are fully vaccinated with the first two dose series and a booster remains the best course of action to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”

“Our preliminary, first dataset indicate that a third dose could still offer a sufficient level of protection from disease of any severity caused by the Omicron variant,” said Ugur Sahin, M.D., CEO and Co-Founder of BioNTech. “Broad vaccination and booster campaigns around the world could help us to better protect people everywhere and to get through the winter season. We continue to work on an adapted vaccine which, we believe, will help to induce a high level of protection against Omicron-induced COVID-19 disease as well as a prolonged protection compared to the current vaccine.”

While these results are preliminary, the companies will continue to collect more laboratory data and evaluate real-world effectiveness to assess and confirm protection against Omicron and inform the most effective path forward. On November 25, the companies started to develop an Omicron-specific COVID-19 vaccine. The development will continue as planned in the event that a vaccine adaption is needed to increase the level and duration of protection against Omicron. First batches of the Omicron-based vaccine can be produced and are planned to be ready for deliveries within 100 days, pending regulatory approval. Pfizer and BioNTech have tested other variant-specific vaccines as well, which have produced very strong neutralization titers and a tolerable safety profile. Based on this experience the companies have high confidence that if needed they can deliver an Omicron-based vaccine in March 2022. The companies have also previously initiated clinical trials with variant-specific vaccines (Alpha, Beta, Delta & Alpha/Delta Mix) and data from these studies will be submitted to regulatory agencies around the world to help accelerate the process of adapting the vaccine and gaining regulatory authorization or approval of an Omicron-specific vaccine, if needed. The companies have previously announced that they expect to produce four billion doses of BNT162b2 in 2022, and this capacity is not expected to change if an adapted vaccine is required.

About the Pfizer-BioNTech Laboratory Studies

To evaluate the effectiveness of BNT162b2 against the Omicron variant, Pfizer and BioNTech immediately tested a panel of human immune sera obtained from the blood of individuals that received two or three 30-µg doses of the current Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, using a pseudovirus neutralization test (pVNT The sera were collected from subjects 3 weeks after receiving the second dose or one month after receiving the third dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. Each serum was tested simultaneously for its neutralizing antibody titer against the wild-type SARS-Cov-2 spike protein, and the Omicron spike variant. The third dose significantly increased the neutralizing antibody titers against the Omicron strain spike by 25-fold. Neutralization against the Omicron variant after three doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was comparable to the neutralization against the wild-type strain observed in sera from individuals who received two doses of the companies’ COVID-19 vaccine: The geometric mean titer (GMT) of neutralizing antibody against the Omicron variant measured in the samples was 154 (after three doses), compared to 398 against the Delta variant (after three doses) and 155 against the ancestral strain (after two doses). Data on the persistence of neutralizing titers over time after a booster dose of BNT162b2 against the Omicron variant will be collected.

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which is based on BioNTech’s proprietary mRNA technology, was developed by both BioNTech and Pfizer. BioNTech is the Marketing Authorization Holder in the United States, the European Union, the United Kingdom, Canada and other countries and the holder of emergency use authorizations or equivalents in the United States (jointly with Pfizer) and other countries. Submissions to pursue regulatory approvals in those countries where emergency use authorizations or equivalent were initially granted are planned.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-provide-update-omicron-variant

• +1 1

Piše da su testirali mesec dana od treće, čisto sumnjam da nisu testirali i uzorke onih koji su buster primili ranije (pre 2 ili 3 meseca) pa došli do nepovoljnijih rezultata koje ne bi hteli da objave.

I uglavnom, uvek ću pre verovati nezavisnim ispitivanjima nego onima koje obavljaju sami proizvođači, a onda saopštavaju samo one rezultate koji im odgovaraju.

Edited by vememah
  • +1 6