IGNORED

Peti oktobar na bliskom istoku i arapskom svetu

Gandalf

Na primer Srbiju, taman bi nam legao jedan takav. Mi ovde šizimo zbog Kolubare a izgleda da nismo videli ni "p" od pravih pljački i ozbiljnih pljačkaša.

Edited by beowl

Finally and perhaps most disturbingly, are reports of the regime's treatment of street children, of which there are an estimated 5,200 in Cairo. In 2001, HRW estimated that 11,000 street children had been arrested and frequently detained for weeks in unsanitary and dangerous conditions, "often with adult criminal detainees who abuse them." The children, the report reads, are "and denied adequate food, water, bedding, and medical care." This is how the father of Egypt, as Vice President Suleiman called Mubarak today, treats his children.Anatomy of a Dictatorship: Hosni Mubarak

Edited by Gandalf

Ovo je stvarno uzbudljivoEgyptian protesters feed off Wael Ghonim's passion2011-02-08t211321z_1_love7171my85u_rtrmadp_baseimage-960x540_egypt-google-exec-o_648x365-hero.jpg

WAEL Ghonim lacks charisma, physical presence or oratorical power.However, the computer technician has emerged as the human face of the uprising that is rocking Egypt, the first of a new breed of youthful revolutionary leaders who have turned the mouse and the keyboard into weapons powerful enough to destroy dictatorships.An extraordinary, tearful interview Mr Ghonim had given the previous night went viral, and the Google executive, 30, received a thunderous reception when he appeared before another vast multitude packed into Cairo's Tahrir Square, tens of thousands of them first-time protesters inspired by his words. By early evening more than 150,000 people had joined a Facebook site urging Mr Ghonim to become the voice of the revolution.

1. reakcija od really scary muslimsa:Al Qaeda urges Egypt to wage jihad

Al Qaeda front group The Islamic State of Iraq has called on Egyptian protesters to wage jihad and push for the establishment of a government based on Islamic law, the SITE monitoring service said.The statement, which appears to be the first reaction of any group affiliated with Al Qaeda to the ongoing protests in Egypt, was issued on jihadist forums on February 8, according to the US-based group.The message, addressed to the protesters, says the "market of jihad" has opened in Egypt and "the doors of martyrdom have opened" and every able-bodied man must participate.The group urged Egyptians to ignore the "ignorant deceiving ways" of secularism, democracy and "rotten pagan nationalism".
It seems to me that one way to interpret what is happening in the Middle East is that it marks the belated passing of the residual elements of a colonial order that had never really been transcended despite the hard knock it received thirty years ago from the Islamic revolution in Iran.This order derived its legitimacy from a peculiar mixture of imperial dispensations of territory (the Balfour Declaration was, after all, colonialist in origin, tone, and inspiration) and linkages between local elites and their former colonial masters (the favored position of Lebanese Christians being only one of many examples) or foreign kin (Israel). Cold War maneuvering between the contending superpowers fostered neo-colonial relationships of dependency on one or the other of them by countries like Israel (whose prosperity and hegemony have depended on U.S. and Diaspora subventions and subsidies), Egypt (which switched sides to call off the fight with Israel and go on a better payroll), Syria (which failed to maneuver successfully and was orphaned when the USSR imploded), and Iraq (which mistakenly gambled on its judgment that the end of superpower rivalry meant an end to U.S. interest in the region). The degree of dependence on foreign backing by both Israeli and Arab elites (as well as Iranian elites before 1979) vastly exceeds that in any other region of the world. It’s been a good deal for them, if not for those over whom they rule, but I sense it is now coming to an end.What may also be ending is the fatalistic passivity and groveling to power that have made the Arab world stand out among the world’s great civilizations as the only one not to have seen a rebirth of intellect, wealth, and power. (Iran’s attempt at achieving this has so far largely failed but at least Iran made the effort.) The contrast with renewed Chinese, Indian, and Turkish vigor and self-confidence (not to mention the Japanese in an earlier era) has been striking. It is too early to say whether the energy of the Tunisian and Egyptian streets heralds a turn toward Arabs similarly taking charge of their own destiny, but I think it is a possibility worth watching — whatever the immediate outcome in terms of quality of governance.Leon Hadar has made the useful point that, if the relevant analogy to Egypt and its Revolution is Poland and Solidarity, then the United States stands in the position of the Soviet Union and Obama in the role of Gorbachev. That is not encouraging in terms of either choices or outcomes. Whatever happens, the ebb of U.S. power in the Middle East is now at riptide.
* [Chas Freedman worked as the interpreter for Richard Nixon in his 1972 China visit and as the United States Ambassador to Saudi Arabia from 1989 to 1992, where he dealt with issues related to the Persian Gulf War. He is a past president of the Middle East Policy Council, co-chair of the U.S. China Policy Foundation, and vice-chair of the Atlantic Council.] Edited by Gandalf

`rani pašče da te ujedeSaudijska Arabija zapretila Americi zbog MubarakaLONDON - Londonski list "Tajms" preneo je danas da je saudijski kralj Abdulah zapretio Americi da će finansirati ostanak na vlasti Hosni Mubaraka ukoliko se nastavi pritisak ka brzoj smeni egipatskog režima.List navodi da su Saudijci rekli američkom predsedniku Baraku Obami da "ne ponižava" egipatskog predsednika Mubaraka, i pod oznakom "eksluzivna vest" saznaje da je saudijski kralj zapretio Obami da će finansirati opstanak Mubarakovog režima na vlasti ako Bela kuća pokuša da na silu iznudi brzu smenu vlasti u Egiptu.Saudijski kralj Abdulah dao je 29. januara podršku egipatskom predsedniku Hosniju Mubaraku, osuđujući one koji se mešaju u bezbednost i stabilnost Egipat.Kralj Abdulah je tada u telefonskom razgovoru preneo Mubaraku da Saudijska Arabija svim sredstvima podržava narod i vladu Egipta i da osuđuje "nametljivce" koji se "upliću u bezbednost i stabilnost Egipta, a u ime slobode izražavanja".Mubarak je tada uverio kralja Abdulaha, koji se nalazi na rehabilitaciji u Maroku nakon operacije leđa kojoj je podvrgnut u SAD, da je situacija u Egiptu stabilna i da je to što svijet vidi samo pokušaj sumnjivih grupa da poremete stabilnost i bezbednost u Egiptu.

Egypt protests: Hosni Mubarak 'may be stepping down'A senior member of Egypt's ruling party has told the BBC he is "hoping" that President Hosni Mubarak will transfer power to Vice-President Omar Suleiman.Hossan Badrawi, the secretary general of the National Democratic Party (NDP), said Mr Mubarak would "probably" speak to the nation tonight.His comments came after Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq told BBC Arabic that the scenario of President Mubarak stepping down was being discussed.
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak could "respond to the people's demands by Friday," the secretary general of his ruling National Democratic Party Hossam Badrawi told the BBC.
'We are awaiting orders that will make the people happy': Egyptian officer