IGNORED

Peti oktobar na bliskom istoku i arapskom svetu

Gandalf

@borris,

mislim da je ovde u pitanju samo lokalna prica u delu granicnog pojasa izmedju sirije i iraka u rejonu grada al-bukamal.

nigde nisam naisao na bilo kakav podatak koji bi ukazao na neku ozbiljniju pricu oko ujedinjenja i sumnjam da je ono moguce.

rastom isis-a mnogi dzihadisti im prilaze iako su ranije bili nusrini borci.

Who Lost Iraq? Inside an American Battle

Why are the U.S. media not holding U.S. officials responsible for Iraq’s destruction?

By Martin Sieff, June 25, 2014

The re-emergence of Paul Bremer, George W. Bush’s hapless first proconsul in Iraq, as a television prognosticator in the current crisis is very revealing. The American people may have woken up from the lies and delusion fed them about conquering and remaking Iraq. However, their nation’s media pundits and guides clearly have not.

Otherwise, Mr. Bremer — who created many of the nightmarish conditions that have now come to the surface with the emergence of ISIS, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria — would hardly be given a soapbox to stand on TV these days.

Bremer, Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith and the other Bush administration officials made a hash of Iraq from 2003 to 2006. Despite their amazing failure, which did much to undermine America’s standing in the world and the trust of allies around the globe, these architects of disaster have not just reappeared on their loyal old partisan platform Fox News. They have also been welcomed on supposedly more “balanced” networks like CNN that ought to know better — but don’t.

Myopic U.S. politics

In the usual myopic way of U.S. domestic politics, these figures are unconcerned about the total failure of all their policies, promises and predictions regarding Iraq.

All they care about is that they have — as they imagine — a golden chance to blame Barack Obama and his Democrats for the final collapse of the policies the Republicans foisted onto Iraq with a total lack of success.

However, the Republicans should hesitate before throwing stones at glass houses, or pitching fireballs into a house with filled with combustible petroleum.

The unfolding catastrophe in Iraq promises to be at least as vast and humiliating to the United States as the fall of South Vietnam was in 1975. This outcome is not primarily the fault of Obama and the Democrats at all, though there is certainly plenty of blame to go around.

What we are seeing is the exposure and collapse of the entire fantasy of state-building embraced by President George W. Bush, his Vice President Dick Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and their famous coterie of neo-conservative advisers. All of them were united in one critical regard — their relentless addiction to wishful thinking and their utter ignorance of the history and politics of Iraq.

Greek chorus of intellectuals

They and their Greek chorus of intellectuals proclaimed their goal of building a new, “stable, pro-American, Shi’ite democracy” in Iraq. Bush devoted his entire Second Inaugural address in January 2005, reputed to have been written primarily by Charles Krauthammer and William Kristol, precisely to this topic. It included not a single domestic policy prescription for the American people.

But instead, the goal of Bush II policies — continued by President Obama, primarily at the urging of New York Times pontificator-in-chief Thomas Friedman — was to topple the regime of President Bashir Assad in Syria and support the rebel forces seeking to topple him.

However, the meteoric rise of ISIS, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, and the reincarnated heir of al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) is the direct result of these reckless and catastrophic policies.

The cities of northern Iraq have been falling like bowling pins to the numerically far inferior forces of ISIS. Soon, the pro-Western, stable and largely democratic Kingdom of Jordan will face their fury, too. If it falls, Israel will face the greatest threat in its history on its long-peaceful eastern front.

Current Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was a strong supporter of the toppling and remaking of Iraq in 2003, and of weakening the Syrian regime of the Assad family. That may have been another tragic mistake b a reckless Prime Minister. Israel had coexisted peacefully with Syria since 1973 apart from a brief, limited clash in 1982. Netanyahu should have been more careful what he wished for.

What is happening in Iraq today is the entire collapse of the entire system that the United States unilaterally, recklessly and ineptly imposed upon Iraq — supposedly in the interest of “democratizing” it — after conquering it in March 2003.

“Mission Accomplished”

May 1, 2004 has become a day that lives in infamy. That day, a cocky and utterly clueless President George W. Bush pronounced “Mission Accomplished” in Iraq by the U.S. armed forces. Quite to the contrary, the United States’ long, slow grinding humiliation and exhaustion there was just about to begin.

Paul Bremer, who served as Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq for little over a year in 2003/4, played a key role in this fiasco. He brought in an army of arrogant, ignorant young interns from the Heritage Foundation and other conservative Washington think tanks, who were ignorant of conditions in Iraq. It was typical of their “knowledge” that they imposed the Maryland state traffic code on the city of Baghdad.

Bremer also set up a weird, phony parliamentary democratic system that resulted in the total oppression of the Sunni minority at the hands of the newly empowered, U.S.-based Shiites.

He was completely deaf and blind to the rapidly rising threat of a new national anti-American and anti-Shiite Sunni popular insurgency. It erupted in May 2004, within days of President George W. Bush fatuous declaration of “Mission Accomplished” on the decks of the nuclear aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.

What gets completely forgotten in the current chatter about ISIS is that it was George W. Bush, not Obama, who made a truly fateful concession to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. Before Bush left office, it was he who agreed that U.S. forces would soon pull out according to a set timetable.

The grave miscalculation was that it was U.S. power — and nothing else — that ever held up the whole sorry “house of cards” in Iraq that the Bush Administration had built. Now, it is all coming tumbling down.

Sranje clanak.

Demokrate se samo bave cuvanjem lika i dela Obame.

Obama je na vlasti 6 godina, sasvim dovoljno da se progovori i o njegovoj politici.

O Iraku i Busu se ionako sve zna.

To sto je Bremer nekompetentan ne znaci da su Nuland, Power i ona treca kompetentni.

Maliki kaze da su ih Amerikanci kod prodaje F-16 doveli u zabludu i da su neverovatno otezali da ih isporuce te se oni sada odlucuju za ruske, verovatno modernizovane, Su-27, koji vec naredne nedelje treba da stignu. Kaze da je osnovni razlog ovoga svega u Iraku to sto su Amerikanci toliko odugovlacili sa predajom F-16 i stvaranjem irackog RV.

Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki: Russian jets will turn tide

Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has told the BBC that he hopes jets from Russia and Belarus will turn the tide against rebels in the coming days.

"God willing within one week this force will be effective and will destroy the terrorists' dens," he said.

He said that the process of buying US jets had been "long-winded" and that the militants' advance could have been avoided if air cover had been in place.

Isis and its Sunni Muslim allies seized large parts of Iraq this month.

Mr Maliki was speaking to the BBC's Arabic service in his first interview for an international broadcaster since Isis - the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant - began its major offensive.

"I'll be frank and say that we were deluded when we signed the contract [with the US]," Mr Maliki said.

"We should have sought to buy other jet fighters like British, French and Russian to secure the air cover for our forces; if we had air cover we would have averted what had happened," he went on.

He said Iraq was acquiring second-hand jet fighters from Russia and Belarus "that should arrive in Iraq in two or three days".

Edited by Zaz_pi

Maliki kaze da su ih Amerikanci kod prodaje F-16 doveli u zabludu i da su neverovatno otezali da ih isporuce te se oni sada odlucuju za ruske, verovatno modernizovane, Su-27, koji vec naredne nedelje treba da stignu. Kaze da je osnovni razlog ovoga svega u Iraku to sto su Amerikanci toliko odugovlacili sa predajom F-16 i stvaranjem irackog RV.

kada mu se pola vojske razbezi bez ispaljenog metka nema ni promil sanse da je za to kriva isporuka vojnih aviona, cak je i bezobrazno i glupo traziti takav ili slican razlog

da ne pominjemo da u svemu tome nema samo vojnih uzroka.

Ali njima za borbu protiv ISISa ne treba SU 27. Trebaju im jurisnici ili borbeni helikopteri.

SU 24, SU 25 ili SU 34 ako im se bas trose pare.

Nisu sigurno Su-27, već bi trebalo da su polovni Su-24 iz Rusije i Belorusije.
Trebaju im za precizno bombardovanje sa visine.

Helikoptere su već ranije nabavili, nove Mi-35 koji im sad stižu i idu direktno na front.

edit: čisto da se vidi koje sad tamo zamešateljstvo...

When the first of the 300 military advisers US President Barack Obama promised the Iraqi government arrived in Baghdad Wednesday, June 25, Iranian and Saudi Arabian arms shipments were already in full flow to opposing sides in embattled Iraq, DEBKAfile’s military sources report.

At least two cargo planes from bases in Iran were landing daily at Baghdad’s military airport, carrying 150 tons of military equipment. More than 1,000 tons were flown in this past week alone. Tehran has replicated for the Iraqi army the routine it established for Bashar Assad’s army, furnishing its needs on a daily basis as per its commanders’ requests. Those requests come before a joint Iranian-Iraqi headquarters set up at the Iraqi high command in Baghdad for approval and the assigning of priorities for shipment.

At the same time, Saudi arms are flowing to the Iraqi Sunni tribes fighting alongside the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) against the Iraqi army and the Shiite Nouri al-Maliki's government. They are coming in both overland and by airlift. Saudi arms convoys are crossing the border into Iraq with Saudi and Jordanian air force cover and heading north up to the Al-Qa'im district near the Syrian border. There, Sunni and ISIS fighters, after capturing this key Anbar district, have begun refurbishing the bases and runways at H-2, once one of Saddam Hussein’s largest airbases. Situated 350 kilometers west of Baghdad, this air base has two long runways and hangars for fighter planes and helicopters. DEBKAfile's military sources disclose that, on Tuesday June 24, unmarked civilian cargo planes landed at the base, bringing arms shipments from Saudi Arabia.

The response was swift. Syrian warplanes, on their first bombing mission inside Iraq, tried to damage the partially repaired runways at H-2 to prevent any more Saudi air shipments from landing. Military sources in Washington confirmed Wednesday June 25 that those air strikes were conducted by the Syrian Air Force “in Anbar province” and left at least 57 people dead and 120 wounded - most of them Iraqi civilians. They declined to say what was attacked, referring only to ISIS-related targets.

i kao dodatak, pomenuta iračka pustinjska avio baza 'H-2' koja je odavno u rukama suni ISIS ekipe je čedo JNA i jugoslovenskih inžinjera i firmi - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-2_Air_Base

Edited by akibono

via Charles Lister:

ISIS' chief spokesman Abu Mohammed al-Adnani has announced the ‘restoration of the caliphate’ with Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as Emir al-Muminin.

According to ISIS, the Caliphate’s restoration means all jihadist organisations are now abolished. All must pledge bay’a to Baghdadi.

ISIS no longer exists. It is now simply “The Islamic State” - i.e. immediate invitation for further pledges of allegiance. Key 24hrs ahead.

No matter ISIS perceived legitimacy/illegitimacy, Al-Qaeda Central is in massive trouble now. Welcome to the new era of international jihad.

Glupost. Čim se teritorijaliziraju, dolaze u opasnost da budu brutalno zgaženi, a da se to defakto stanje u tom slučaju odrazi i na simboličko-semantičku ravan. Ko onaj Omdurmanski Mahdi iz pretprošlog stoljeća...

President Barzani: Kurdistan Independence Referendum in Months

By RUDAW 15 hours ago

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – A referendum to decide on independence for the autonomous Kurdistan Region in northern Iraq “is a question of months,” Kurdish President Massoud Barzani told the BBC in an interview.

“I cannot fix a date right now but it’s a question of months,” Barzani said about a referendum, adding it was up to the Kurdish parliament to decide on the date.

“I have said many times that independence is a natural right of the people of Kurdistan. All these developments (in Iraq) reaffirm that, and from now on we will not hide that the goal of Kurdistan is independence,” he told the BBC.

His words came as MPs in Baghdad opened the new session of parliament on time on Tuesday, following elections that preceded the current turmoil. But it remained in session only until the Kurdish and Sunni blocs walked out, after the Shiites failed to come up with any name to replace Nouri al-Maliki as prime minister.

Maliki, who squeezed himself into a second term and looks determined to shoehorn himself into a third, appears amazingly out of touch, as Iraq falls apart before a cocktail of bulldozing forces that include Sunni jihadis, an al-Qaeda offshoot and loyalists of Saddam Hussein’s ousted military.

Riding on the crest of a Sunni insurgency they ignited, within weeks the insurgents have crushed the Iraqi army and taken control of large sweeps of territory, including the second-largest city, Mosul, and Anbar province, the largest.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), an al-Qaeda offshoot fighting in both countries, has declared an Islamic State from Aleppo in Syria to Diyala in Iraq.

Barzani’s words confirmed that the division of Iraq is no longer a fear: it is happening.

"Iraq is effectively partitioned now; should we stay in this tragic situation that Iraq is living?” Barzani told the BBC. “Of course, we are all with our Arab and Sunni brothers together in this crisis, but that doesn’t mean that we will abandon our goal,” he said.

“The latest events have established that this is the solution. We can’t go back to the previous situation. We can’t experiment with our fate for another 10 years. We can’t remain hostages to an unknown future,” Barzani added.

Meanwhile, the United Nations reported that the death toll for June, in all of Iraq except Anbar province, was 2,417 people, three times more than the 799 killed in May, before the insurgents began their advance. Most of those killed in June – 1,500 – were civilians.

After Iraqi troops collapsed and retreated from the north in face of the jihadi-led advance, Kurdish Peshmerga forces moved into the oil-rich city of Kirkuk -- which the Kurds have always seen as the capital of a future homeland -- and into other disputed areas in the provinces of Nineveh and Diyala.

The three province Kurdistan Region – Erbil, Sulaimani and Duhok -- achieved autonomy from Iraq effectively in 2003.

Iraq’s five million Kurds, who suffered what is internationally being recognized as genocide under Saddam Hussein, have long yearned for an independent homeland. Until now, that dream has been opposed not only by neighboring Iran, Turkey and Syria – each with millions of minority Kurds – but by the United States as well.

The US has sent in 200 troops to secure its embassy in Baghdad, the largest in the world. But with the West unwilling to step in militarily to help Maliki, the prime minister has turned to Iran, Syria and Russia, which are reportedly providing arms troops and advisors.

Barzani said that an independent Kurdistan would be a threat to no one: “We will have the best of relations with all the neighbors and we will not be a threat to anyone at all, I’m sure.”