IGNORED

Amerika, zemlja velika

Кристофер Лумумбо

Sta kaze Okamova ostrica, da vidimo.

- Sto se tice spijunaze jebeni balon ne moze da uradi nista sto vec ne mogu sofisticirani sateliti.

- Postoje ovakvi baloni za meteorologiju i ne bi bilo neobicno da se ovako nesto desi. Ovo nije nikakva nova tehnologija, vec vrlo prosta i stara.

- Kinezi su se izvinili za ovo i dali logicno i suvislo objasnjenje. Postoji li bolje objasnjenje od ovoga? Koje, pokusali su da uplase nekog u Pentagonu jebenim balonom?

• +1 2

Why use balloons when satellites exist?

China has an extensive satellite network. In a Nov. 2022 report, the Defense Department said China’s intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance-capable (ISR) satellite fleet had more than 260 systems, second only to the U.S., as of the end of 2021. A senior defense official noted on Thursday that, for China, the balloon flying over Montana “has limited additive value from an intelligence collection perspective.”

Yet even with satellite technology surpassing some abilities of balloons, James Char, a research fellow with the China Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies in Singapore, tells TIME that spy balloons have some operational advantages. For example, balloons can weather extreme conditions, he says, and are less expensive to deploy and operate compared to satellites. Chinese Academy of Science scholars found in 2020 that, despite harsh environments at more than 68,000 feet above ground, “the high-altitude balloon has long endurance time, which can achieve sustained and wider coverage for regional observation and detection.”

“It is harder to be spotted by radar as well, given the fact that they’re simpler in terms of technology,” Char adds. U.S. officials admitted the balloon flying over North America this week was first spotted by civilians on a plane.

High-altitude balloons can also be “trucks for any number of platforms, whether it be communication and data link nodes, ISR, tracking air and missile threats — and without the predictable orbits of satellites,” Tom Karako, senior fellow for the International Security Program and director of the Missile Defense Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told Politico.

And though the technology is old, says Bec Shrimpton, director at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, balloons can complement surveillance technology in orbit, while they can be built and deployed at a fraction of the cost. According to a 2020 analysis in defense publication Armada International, the development, launch, operation, and insurance of a single satellite can cost up to $300 million.

Another potential edge for balloons, Shrimpton tells TIME, is how unlikely defense officials may have been prepared for it to be used, especially by China. “It’s probably better because it’s unexpected,” she says. “It’s not that we haven’t seen this before, but we are expecting far more from Chinese surveillance efforts.”

https://time.com/6252673/chinese-spy-balloon-satellite/

But experts say that the balloon, which is being closely monitored by US officials, looks nothing like a typical weather balloon.

“The reported characteristics of this balloon don’t really match anything that we’re familiar with,” Jonathan Porter, the chief meteorologist at Accuweather, tells TIME. (...)

Around the world, thousands of government-operated and privately owned weather balloons are launched daily to collect information about temperature, winds and moisture in the atmosphere. Porter explains that this balloon was detected so quickly and raised alarms because of its massive size. A typical weather balloon grows in size as it ascends through the atmosphere, starting off at about six feet wide, and expanding to roughly 20 feet in diameter as it rises. The Chinese balloon clocks in at around 90 feet wide, or the length of three buses, according to U.S. defense officials.

“The kinds of weather balloons that are launched twice a day from Weather Service offices are typically just a little box that has a temperature sensor, relative humidity sensor, pressure sensor and then a little tiny transmitter,” Alexandra Anderson-Frey, a professor of atmospheric science at the University of Washington, tells TIME. “Based on the photos that have been going around, there’s obviously a lot more equipment on this one.”

https://time.com/6253002/chinese-balloon-weather-balloon-experts/

Edited by vememah
  • Hvala 1
16 hours ago, Meazza said:

99% sam siguran da je u pitanju obican balon i da samo zele da prave histeriju kod stanovnistva i slikaju Kinu kao neprijatelja.

U isto vreme je toliko opasan da se otkaže poseta Kini, i toliko bezopasan da ga puste da preleti ceo kontinent pre nego što ga obore iznad Atlantika. Što reče Jelenče Vilotić: upadljivo mršav i debeo.

• +1 2
10 minutes ago, Roger Sanchez said:

Jbt, prvo su mnogo smešni kad ga odma ne sruše, sad kad su ga srušili, opet nije dobro

Teško li je Biden biti :cry:

:fantom:

Vazno je da se i ovi sto se podsmevaju i ovi sto su zabrinuti zbog balona slazu u jednoj stvari - Kina je bacila rukavicu u lice Americi i ugrozava njenu bezbednost.

Dati su razlozi zasto se u nekim situacijama vise isplati napraviti balon umesto satelita (cena, radari, vremenski uslovi), ali Kina vec ima veoma sofisticirane satelite. Sta je to zbog cega Kina koja ima mnogo satelita mora da posalje balon? Sta to balon moze da vidi sto ne moze satelit?
Čitam negdje da im stateliti još nemaju tako dobru rezoluciju kao američki

Uglavnom, sad će Amer sve to lijepo izvaditi iz južnokarolinskog plićaka i dobro razgledati tu meteorološku tehniku

:fantom: