Sign in to follow this  
miki.bg

Ekologija

Skyhighatrist

Bali, leptejebodatejebo :ohmy:

Venom

Jezivo.

Ali to insistiranje na nekoriscenju plasticnih kesa s prethodne strane je nesto sto me ozbiljno iritira. Ne zato sto treba uzimati plasticne kese -- ne treba -- nego zato sto je u pitanju samo kozmetika. Uporedo sa naplacivanjem kesa police pocinju da se pune sa u debelu plastiku upakovanim nasecenim sirom ili salamom. Pa onda umesto 200g trapista upakovanog u tanki papir s folijom koji ces da stavis u tanku plasticnu kesu, stavljacemo 100g nasecenog necega upakovanog u 200g debele plastike u tekstilni ceger. Win! Kolicina plasticnog djubreta koje se dopremi iz prodavnice u zapadnom svetu je frapantan, a celo to sranje s kesama je samo nacin da se ljudi osecaju bolje iako nista zapravo ne rade. Od plastike u koju se individualno pakuju krastavci moze 10 kesa da se napravi. Jedini veliki problem s plastikom u Srbiji su plasticne flase.

ragasto

Ma da, čist cirkus. U Maksiju se kese uredno naplaćuju, ali su zato kese u koje se ubacuju hleb, voće i povrće besplatne pa zato izađeš sa 10 manjih kesa (po jedan limun i po jedna tikvica u svakoj). Tako niko ni ne mora uopšte da ih plati na kasi, ako hoće da se cima. A količina plastike...

miki.bg

How the biggest farming practice you’ve never heard of is changing your food.

BY MIRANDA HART
NOVEMBER 22, 2018

Desiccants kill more than plants. Herbicides like glyphosate also kill bacteria. You could just as easily call them “antibiotics.” Our gut bacteria are sensitive to antibiotics, which is why we should avoid eating herbicides. When our microbes are healthy, our immune system is stable. But when microbes are disturbed, diseases like obesity, Alzheimer’s, or celiac disease can result.

Long-term exposure to antibiotics results in lasting shifts in gut microbiota. Cattle are fed low dose antibiotics in feedlots—not to stave off disease, but because it makes them gain weight more easily than an antibiotic-free cow. It changes their gut microbes so that they grow fat on less food. A study from March this year showed that glyphosate exposure changed the composition of honeybee gut microbes, which could make the bees more susceptible to colony collapse.6

Herbicides are particularly dangerous for gut microbes because they’re poorly absorbed by the gut. Low absorption means that gut bacteria are subjected to prolonged contact with the herbicide as it passes through the digestive system. Ironically, poor absorption is part of the reason that herbicides are deemed safe enough to put on our food.

“We don’t actually know what happens when gut microbes are exposed to herbicides,” Deanna Gibson tells me. She studies the interaction between diet, gut microbes, and disease at the University of British Columbia, Okanagan. Her lab is a hive of researchers from around the world homogenizing frozen poop samples and mice guts. “It’s shocking to me that the chemicals we feed to lab mice to disrupt gut function are actually common herbicides—like glyphosate,” Gibson says. “How are we not talking about this as a society?”

Part of the answer is that neither Health Canada nor the U.S. EPA consider herbicides as antibiotics. This means that their safety assessments do not consider effects on human gut microbes. There have been no explicit tests of the effect of desiccation on our microbiome. The only studies that exist consider rats, cattle, bees, and turtles—because it is unethical to test the effects of toxins on humans.

Plus, there is other stuff in herbicides that is dangerous for both animals and microbes.  Commercial herbicides are cocktails of chemicals that include herbicidal agents and chemicals that improve their delivery. These “adjuvants” include petroleum byproducts, neurotoxins, and endocrine disruptors. Adjuvants help the herbicidal penetrate the thick, waxy layer that surrounds plant cells, making them good for breaching bacterial cell walls, too. But adjuvants are not subjected to the same regulation as herbicides, and are considered “inert” without much evidence. Desiccation means adjuvants are being applied to edible crops in large quantities (as opposed to weeds, their original target).  Their toxicity has not been studied.

So what can we do?  To begin, we need to clearly determine how much glyphosate the human population is exposed to. My lab has started to do this—but it’s not easy. How much glyphosate are we exposed to? We can estimate residues in foods, but what about in the water table? Indirect exposure through agricultural and forestry use? Then we need to begin the difficult task of evaluating that risk, through animal models, and correlational studies in humans. This will not be easy, or fast.

Desiccation makes it possible to cultivate massive tracts of farmland and feed billions of people profitably. Based on the evidence we have so far, we can’t prove that that there is any health cost to the practice. But neither can we say there isn’t a cost—and there are many reasons to think there might be one.

On my way home from Shewchuk’s farm, I stopped by a desiccated pea field. It was a clear afternoon, but the air was heavy with dust, casting an orange glow on the field. Four combines, each as big as a small building, were kicking up dirt and chaff from the peas while two enormous semi-trailers waited to receive the seeds. At least a dozen hawks circled overhead, waiting for the rodents that were now exposed on the bare ground. I knew agriculture had changed, but I couldn’t have imagined this scene so divorced from the mom and pop farms of my childhood. The scene was from some dystopia. I was reminded of a famous quote by Alanis Obomsawin: “When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted … you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you can’t eat money.”

But what if we can’t eat our own food, either?

Ali ovo:

There are economic reasons, too, for desiccation. There hasn’t been a new herbicide in 25 years because they’re so expensive to develop. If herbicide sales have topped out, why not encourage pre-harvest spraying, and sell twice the product? In business circles, this is called increasing “use patterns.” 

leptejebo

Edited by miki.bg