IGNORED

Ekologija

eumeswil

Jezivo.

Ali to insistiranje na nekoriscenju plasticnih kesa s prethodne strane je nesto sto me ozbiljno iritira. Ne zato sto treba uzimati plasticne kese -- ne treba -- nego zato sto je u pitanju samo kozmetika. Uporedo sa naplacivanjem kesa police pocinju da se pune sa u debelu plastiku upakovanim nasecenim sirom ili salamom. Pa onda umesto 200g trapista upakovanog u tanki papir s folijom koji ces da stavis u tanku plasticnu kesu, stavljacemo 100g nasecenog necega upakovanog u 200g debele plastike u tekstilni ceger. Win! Kolicina plasticnog djubreta koje se dopremi iz prodavnice u zapadnom svetu je frapantan, a celo to sranje s kesama je samo nacin da se ljudi osecaju bolje iako nista zapravo ne rade. Od plastike u koju se individualno pakuju krastavci moze 10 kesa da se napravi. Jedini veliki problem s plastikom u Srbiji su plasticne flase.

Ma da, čist cirkus. U Maksiju se kese uredno naplaćuju, ali su zato kese u koje se ubacuju hleb, voće i povrće besplatne pa zato izađeš sa 10 manjih kesa (po jedan limun i po jedna tikvica u svakoj). Tako niko ni ne mora uopšte da ih plati na kasi, ako hoće da se cima. A količina plastike...

• 2 weeks later...

How the biggest farming practice you’ve never heard of is changing your food.

BY MIRANDA HART
NOVEMBER 22, 2018

Desiccants kill more than plants. Herbicides like glyphosate also kill bacteria. You could just as easily call them “antibiotics.” Our gut bacteria are sensitive to antibiotics, which is why we should avoid eating herbicides. When our microbes are healthy, our immune system is stable. But when microbes are disturbed, diseases like obesity, Alzheimer’s, or celiac disease can result.

Long-term exposure to antibiotics results in lasting shifts in gut microbiota. Cattle are fed low dose antibiotics in feedlots—not to stave off disease, but because it makes them gain weight more easily than an antibiotic-free cow. It changes their gut microbes so that they grow fat on less food. A study from March this year showed that glyphosate exposure changed the composition of honeybee gut microbes, which could make the bees more susceptible to colony collapse.6

Herbicides are particularly dangerous for gut microbes because they’re poorly absorbed by the gut. Low absorption means that gut bacteria are subjected to prolonged contact with the herbicide as it passes through the digestive system. Ironically, poor absorption is part of the reason that herbicides are deemed safe enough to put on our food.

“We don’t actually know what happens when gut microbes are exposed to herbicides,” Deanna Gibson tells me. She studies the interaction between diet, gut microbes, and disease at the University of British Columbia, Okanagan. Her lab is a hive of researchers from around the world homogenizing frozen poop samples and mice guts. “It’s shocking to me that the chemicals we feed to lab mice to disrupt gut function are actually common herbicides—like glyphosate,” Gibson says. “How are we not talking about this as a society?”

Part of the answer is that neither Health Canada nor the U.S. EPA consider herbicides as antibiotics. This means that their safety assessments do not consider effects on human gut microbes. There have been no explicit tests of the effect of desiccation on our microbiome. The only studies that exist consider rats, cattle, bees, and turtles—because it is unethical to test the effects of toxins on humans.

Plus, there is other stuff in herbicides that is dangerous for both animals and microbes.  Commercial herbicides are cocktails of chemicals that include herbicidal agents and chemicals that improve their delivery. These “adjuvants” include petroleum byproducts, neurotoxins, and endocrine disruptors. Adjuvants help the herbicidal penetrate the thick, waxy layer that surrounds plant cells, making them good for breaching bacterial cell walls, too. But adjuvants are not subjected to the same regulation as herbicides, and are considered “inert” without much evidence. Desiccation means adjuvants are being applied to edible crops in large quantities (as opposed to weeds, their original target).  Their toxicity has not been studied.

So what can we do?  To begin, we need to clearly determine how much glyphosate the human population is exposed to. My lab has started to do this—but it’s not easy. How much glyphosate are we exposed to? We can estimate residues in foods, but what about in the water table? Indirect exposure through agricultural and forestry use? Then we need to begin the difficult task of evaluating that risk, through animal models, and correlational studies in humans. This will not be easy, or fast.

Desiccation makes it possible to cultivate massive tracts of farmland and feed billions of people profitably. Based on the evidence we have so far, we can’t prove that that there is any health cost to the practice. But neither can we say there isn’t a cost—and there are many reasons to think there might be one.

On my way home from Shewchuk’s farm, I stopped by a desiccated pea field. It was a clear afternoon, but the air was heavy with dust, casting an orange glow on the field. Four combines, each as big as a small building, were kicking up dirt and chaff from the peas while two enormous semi-trailers waited to receive the seeds. At least a dozen hawks circled overhead, waiting for the rodents that were now exposed on the bare ground. I knew agriculture had changed, but I couldn’t have imagined this scene so divorced from the mom and pop farms of my childhood. The scene was from some dystopia. I was reminded of a famous quote by Alanis Obomsawin: “When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted … you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you can’t eat money.”

But what if we can’t eat our own food, either?

Ali ovo:

There are economic reasons, too, for desiccation. There hasn’t been a new herbicide in 25 years because they’re so expensive to develop. If herbicide sales have topped out, why not encourage pre-harvest spraying, and sell twice the product? In business circles, this is called increasing “use patterns.” 

leptejebo

Edited by miki.bg
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Beton, beton, samo beton...

... the amount of concrete laid per square metre in Japan is 30 times the amount in America, and that the volume is almost exactly the same. “So we’re talking about a country the size of California laying the same amount of concrete [as the entire US]. Multiply America’s strip malls and urban sprawl by 30 to get a sense of what’s going on in Japan.”

But that was lightweight compared to what is now happening in China: since 2003, China has poured more cement every three years than the US managed in the entire 20th century.

Giant construction firms – notably Odebrecht, Andrade Gutierrez and Camargo Corrêa – were at the heart of this sprawling scheme, which saw politicians, bureaucrats and middle-men receive at least $2bn worth of kickbacks in return for hugely inflated contracts for oil refineries, the Belo Monte dam, the 2014 World Cup, the 2016 Olympics and dozens of other infrastructure projects throughout the region. Prosecutors said Odebrecht alone had paid bribes to 415 politicians and 26 political parties.

Guardian Concrete Week

Gustina naseljenosti u Japanu je 336 osoba po kv. km.  U Americi je 33 - deset puta manje. U gusto naseljenim japanskim gradovima mora da se gradi u visinu. To znači da ne možeš da gradiš od drveta, mora beton. Pošto je Japan jedna od najrazvijenijih zemalja na svetu, to ništa ne čudi. Prosečni japanski grad je zapravo dosta ,,održiviji" od prosečnog američkog: ima veću gustinu, što znači više javnog prevoza, racionalnije korišćenje resursa i sl. Tako npr. u Americi emisije CO2 po glavi stanovnika su 16,1 tonu, a u Japanu 9,9 (2015). Amerikanci troše 9207,8 W energije po stanovniku godišnje, a Japanci 4753,7 (2013).

Japan gradi u visinu jer mora (ostrvo sa puno ljudi). To je mnogo bolje od američkih "strip malls and urban sprawl".

Kina je već druga priča, ali i tu treba imati na umu gustinu naseljenosti od 145 ljudi / kv. km i činjenicu da su za jako kratko vreme (okvirno od 1980. do danas) imali strahovit razvoj gde su nadoknađivali ,,propušteno". A naročito je od 2000. taj razvoj hiperubrzan. I opet - multimilionski gradovi, dakle višespratnice, dakle beton.

• 1 month later...
On 24.11.2018. at 9:18, Venom said:

Jezivo.

Ali to insistiranje na nekoriscenju plasticnih kesa s prethodne strane je nesto sto me ozbiljno iritira. Ne zato sto treba uzimati plasticne kese -- ne treba -- nego zato sto je u pitanju samo kozmetika. Uporedo sa naplacivanjem kesa police pocinju da se pune sa u debelu plastiku upakovanim nasecenim sirom ili salamom. Pa onda umesto 200g trapista upakovanog u tanki papir s folijom koji ces da stavis u tanku plasticnu kesu, stavljacemo 100g nasecenog necega upakovanog u 200g debele plastike u tekstilni ceger. Win! Kolicina plasticnog djubreta koje se dopremi iz prodavnice u zapadnom svetu je frapantan, a celo to sranje s kesama je samo nacin da se ljudi osecaju bolje iako nista zapravo ne rade. Od plastike u koju se individualno pakuju krastavci moze 10 kesa da se napravi. Jedini veliki problem s plastikom u Srbiji su plasticne flase.

nije jedini ali je ogroman. u radnji sam video vino upakovano u dve različite ambalaže. u staklenoj je koštalo 300, u plastičnoj 200. mislim da je jednostavno akcizama izjednačiti te dve varijante. i dodatno opteretiti svaku tekućinu u plastici sa, recimo, 10 dinara po litri. svejedno da li je feri ili minakva.  da te pare idu u onih 5 milijardi evra koje su nam potrebne za ekološko saniranje.

srbija je definitivno u mentalnom qrcu.

ovde u rakovici između solitera postoji prolaz sa stepeništem i stazama do autobuske stanice u pilota petrovića. na početku i kraju tog puta, 20 metara udaljeni, postoje kontejneri. no, lakše je spustiti kesu u ili pored one male betonske kocke za pikavce i omotiće tako da svakodnevno prolazim pored mini deponje.

s prozora gledam u igralište s klupama, klackalicom, ljuljaljkama......svakodnevno su tu klinci, bake, deke, roditelji, momci sa ili bez devojaka. i gomila isečenog borovog granja posle orezivanja. prekjuče sam sišao dole i za 2 sata premestio granje do kontejnera i detaljno očistio plato od đubreta, borovih iglica i koječega. granje je odneto istog dana.  zašto ja, koji sam tu mesec dana? ne oni koji tu sede i žive godinama.

juče sam došao u selo. srbija koju vidim nikada nije bila prljavija. provezao sam se pored najmanje 5 većih deponija počev od one kada se od okretnice na vidikovcu skrene desno pa kroz podvožnjak na magistralu. kad izađem iz lazarevca do sela imam dve. đubrišta pored onog na parkingu u lipovičkoj šumi koliko hoćeš. baš kao i izbačenih kesa sa đubretom duž puteva.  nikada u novijoj istoriji ™ nije bilo ovako. 

za mesec i po dolaze mi prijatelji s one strane okeana. unapred me sramota. mislim da će u senci otpada ostati i teslin muzej i kalemegdan i šargan, perućac, đerdap, oplenac.....

Edited by djordje geprat

Svaka čast Djordje.

Ovo što ste pomenuli sa opterećivanjem plastične ambalaže funkcioniše van srbije u vidu kaucije što je motiv za skupljanje reciklažnog materijala, povrat novca od kaucije se može dobiti u svakom marketu gde stoje aparati za pretvaranje prazne ambalaze u novac.

Kada se Lidl pojavio ponadao sam se da će se i kod nad krenuti sa time zaboravljajući da ovo nije do marketa već do sistema i državnog zakona. Doduše u Lidlu postoje “rupe” za reciklažnu ambalažu (sem za staklo), provirio sam kroz rupu i video da je sve izmešano u kantama iza.

Šta se dešava kod nas povodom toga da li neko zna? U NSu odavno nisam video da se nešto novo radi po pitanju razdvajanja smeća. Ko se bavi reciklažom kod nas? Šta sprečava državu/grad da reguliše to konačno?

Kontejneri u nsu su užas, al nije samo do kontejnera već i do stanovništva

Your cotton tote is pretty much the worst replacement for a plastic bag

If you’re trying to contribute as little as possible to the two global calamities of climate change and the swirling gyres of forever-materials slowly filling our oceans, there’s a useful formula to keep in mind: Use fewer things, many times, and don’t buy new ones.

But are plastic bags better or worse than paper? And what about a cotton tote? Let’s rip this bandaid off right away: There’s no easy answer.

To understand the impact of reusable bags on the environment, one has to hold two very different things in mind. One: Plastic bags do not biodegrade and are stuffing the oceans, marine life, and our food supply with plastic bits. Two: Considering all the other environmental impacts besides litter, a cotton tote or a paper bag may be worse for the environment than a plastic one.

In a 2018 life-cycle assessment, Denmark’s ministry of environment and food agreed with previous similar studies, finding that classic plastic shopping bags have the least environmental impact. This assessment does not take marine litter into account—so as far as that gigantic problem is concerned, plastics are almost certainly the worst, since they don’t break down on a timescale meaningful to human or animal life.

But when taking into account other factors, like the impact of manufacturing on climate change, ozone depletion, water use, air pollution, and human toxicity, those classic, plastic shopping bags are actually the most benign of the current common options.

The technical name for the wispy plastic bags, like the ones you might get at the grocery store or deli, are low-density polyethylene (LDPE) bags.

bags-environment-2.png

Edited by miki.bg
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Revealed: air pollution may be damaging ‘every organ in the body’

Air pollution may be damaging every organ and virtually every cell in the human body, according to a comprehensive new global review.

The research shows head-to-toe harm, from heart and lung disease to diabetes and dementia, and from liver problems and bladder cancer to brittle bones and damaged skin. Fertility, foetuses and children are also affected by toxic air, the review found.

The systemic damage is the result of pollutants causing inflammation that then floods through the body and ultrafine particles being carried around the body by the bloodstream.

Air pollution is a “public health emergency”, according to the World Health Organization, with more than 90% of the global population enduring toxic outdoor air. New analysis indicates 8.8m early deaths each year – double earlier estimates – making air pollution a bigger killer than tobacco smoking.

But the impact of different pollutants on many ailments remains to be established, suggesting well-known heart and lung damage is only “the tip of the iceberg”.

“Air pollution can harm acutely, as well as chronically, potentially affecting every organ in the body,” conclude the scientists from the Forum of International Respiratory Societies in the two review papers, published in the journal Chest. “Ultrafine particles pass through the [lungs], are readily picked up by cells, and carried via the bloodstream to expose virtually all cells in the body.”

Prof Dean Schraufnagel, at the University of Illinois at Chicago and who led the reviews, said: “I wouldn’t be surprised if almost every organ was affected. If something is missing [from the review] it is probably because there was no research yet.”

The review represents “very strong science”, said Dr Maria Neira, WHO director of public and environmental health: “It adds to the very heavy evidence we have already. There are more than 70,000 scientific papers to demonstrate that air pollution is affecting our health.”

She said she expected even more impacts of air pollution to be shown by future research: “Issues like Parkinson’s or autism, for which there is some evidence but maybe not the very strong linkages, that evidence is coming now.”

Nadrealne fotke.

https://www.liberation.fr/france/2019/06/02/les-nocives-aurores-boreales-de-l-agriculture_1730627

Brittany is not famous for its warmth and sunshine, but it is the first tomato growing region in France, the most popular fruit vegetable in France. Large tomato growers cultivate mainly above ground, under heated greenhouses and compensate for the lack of sunshine with artificial lighting. From these greenhouses come these fantastic nocturnal lights, which are obviously not without impact for the environment.

• 2 months later...

laboratorijski se mozda razgrade. ima chlanak, nadjem. svetske vode su bukvalno 'impregnirane' (nije dobra rech) nano djubretom plastike i lekova. 
sent from bubamoto

Da se malo nastavimo