IGNORED

Teniske legende

Boza_zvani_Pub

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Naleteh na ovo, metuću™ ovde, zanimljivo je:

Lest you think the qualifier tournament is all for nothing, a story of a great man.

In May 2000, Vladimir Voltchkov was a 22yo Challenger player ranked #309 in the world, who had never been ranked in the top 100. That week he won a Challenger tournament and innocuously moved up to #237, which placed him into Wimbledon qualifying.

It wasn't easy getting through qualifying. In all three matches he dropped one of the first two sets, but he won the deciding sets in the first two matches, then made the main draw when his final opponent retired down 2 sets to 1.

The main draw started out just as tough, with Voltchkov needing five sets in his first two matches. But look at this warrior:

• Wimbledon round 1: (Q)Voltchkov d. world #54 Juan Ignacio Chela [ARG] 6-7(5) 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-0

• Wimbledon round 2: (Q)Voltchkov d. world #6 Cedric Pioline [FRA] 6-3 6-3 2-6 3-6 6-4

• Wimbledon round 3: (Q)Voltchkov d. world #16 Younes El Aynaoui [MAR] 7-6(4) 7-5 7-6(4)

• Wimbledon round 4: (Q)Voltchkov d. world #37 Wayne Ferreira [RSA] 6-3 6-4 7-6(0)

• Wimbledon QFs: (Q)Voltchkov d. world #52 Byron Black [ZIM] 7-6(2) 7-6(2) 6-4

In the final three matches, Voltchkov knocked out the entire continent of Africa to the tune of 9 straight sets. After seven straight Wimbledon victories, he ran out of clothes and had to borrow a shirt from Marat Safin. The Vladiator was a near-unstoppable animal that likely would not have been tamed if it weren't for one well-known star getting in his way:

• World #3 (1)Pete Sampras [uSA] d. (Q)Voltchkov 7-6(4) 6-2 6-4

Sampras would go on to beat Rafter in the Finals, giving Pete his 7th and final Wimbledon title. Fun fact: Pete won the title without playing anybody ranked in the top-20 in the world. Voltchkov rose to #69 in the rankings, rose further to #27 before the following Wimbledon, he remained a top-100 player until 2003, and you may have seen his name recently as he was Sharapova's hitting partner from 2011-2013. Heck of a run.

juce je jedan lik na tw pricao o mecu verdasco - nadal ao sf 2009. pa sam se malo podsetio

kakav tenis. neki brutalni poeni i razmene. meni ce zbog ovakvih meceva nadal uvek biti atraktivniji teniser od njkv. mislim da je jedino finale w 2008 bolji mec od ovoga. bar sto sam ja odgledao. verdascov najbolji mec u karijeri, 100% rafa jedva dosao do pobede i na kraju do jedine titule u australiji (to je onaj mec sa plackom). 

Meni je to najjaci GS koji sam gledao u zivotu, prvo to, pa posle sa Rodjom u finalu gde je ovaj plakao  :D. A Australian Open je meni uvek bio najzanimljiviji GS, pohodi Baghdatisa, Gonzalesa i slicni, jednostavno neprocenjivo. 

Naleteh na ovo, metuću™ ovde, zanimljivo je:

To su bila vremena, dođe neki anonimus i pravo niotkuda u polufinale slema. A danas raspravljamo da li Kirjos i Tomić mogu do četvrtfinala..